The education of physics degree.. and jobs.

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of pursuing a physics degree and the challenges that come with it, particularly in terms of higher level math. The possibility of a physics degree leading to a good paying job is also brought up. The conversation ends with a recommendation to do further research on the topic and a link to a thread discussing the predisposition to being good at math.
OrionVTOL
I love watching documentaries on that which utilizes physics principles and since I lost my job, I have pondered the idea of going to get a second degree. A part of me thinks how great it would be to go into a physics type degree, but I know that means the highest level math would be required. I did pretty well in the lower level math classes, but didn't get into the more cerebral types and I must admit that I find the posibility of being in such a class quite daunting. When I watch documentaries, they often have very advanced equations written down, and to me, I don't see how I could ever wrap my mind around it. Now, I know that they [the physicists] have many years of "gradually increasing difficulty" math in their past as they attained their knowledge, . . . but I have to wonder if some people's minds are predisposed to being good at math where others would never be able to "get it".

Having said that, . . . I am open to the possibility that a physics degree would be difficult to transfer to a good paying job, so the second part of this thread has to do with. . . "what would I do WITH a physics type degree"?

I appreciate your input.

Physics news on Phys.org
This topic comes up once a week - I did a quick search and found these threads. The general consensus is a counter question to yours of "what do YOU want to do with your degree?"

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=338504

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=156268&highlight=physics+degree

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=209590&highlight=physics+degree

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=376056&highlight=physics+degree

Keep searching around there's plenty of these threads. Good luck.

Definitely those links address the second question. However, the first question is more important.

Thanks.

Normally questions have a question mark (?), I only see one question mark in your thread. :tongue2: I'll assume that you mean the "but I have to wonder if some people's minds are predisposed to being good at math where others would never be able to "get it"." part. So in that case, I found this thread.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=312073

Good luck.

I can understand your fascination with physics and its applications in documentaries. Pursuing a second degree in physics can be a fulfilling and intellectually stimulating experience. However, I also understand your concerns about the level of math required for a physics degree.

Firstly, I want to assure you that anyone can learn and excel in math with dedication and practice. It may seem daunting at first, but with the right guidance and support, you can build a strong foundation in math and tackle more advanced equations. It is important to remember that physicists also had to start from the basics and gradually build their math skills over the years.

In regards to your question about whether some people's minds are predisposed to being good at math, there is some evidence to suggest that certain individuals may have a natural aptitude for math. However, this does not mean that others cannot excel in math with hard work and perseverance. Additionally, a physics degree involves not just math, but also critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills that can be developed and honed through practice.

Now, regarding the job prospects with a physics degree, there are many opportunities available in various industries such as research, technology, engineering, and finance. Physics graduates are highly sought after for their strong analytical and problem-solving skills, which are applicable in a wide range of fields. Furthermore, a physics degree can also open doors to further education and research opportunities.

In conclusion, pursuing a physics degree can be a challenging yet rewarding experience. With determination and hard work, you can overcome any perceived limitations and excel in your studies. The job prospects may vary, but a physics degree can provide a strong foundation for a successful and fulfilling career. I encourage you to explore this possibility and seek guidance from professionals in the field to make an informed decision. Best of luck in your academic pursuits.

1. What can I do with a degree in physics?

Graduates with a degree in physics have a variety of career options, including research, teaching, and working in industry. They can also pursue jobs in fields such as engineering, finance, and data analysis.

2. Is a degree in physics necessary for a career in physics?

While a degree in physics is not always required for a career in the field, it is highly recommended. A strong foundation in physics principles and mathematical skills is necessary for success in the field.

3. What skills do I need to be successful in a physics degree program?

Some key skills that are important for success in a physics degree program include strong mathematical abilities, critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and the ability to work independently and in a team. Good communication skills and attention to detail are also important.

4. What types of jobs can I get with a physics degree?

Graduates with a degree in physics can work in a variety of industries, including research laboratories, government agencies, and private companies. Some common job titles include physicist, research scientist, data analyst, and engineer.

5. What is the job outlook for physics graduates?

The job outlook for physics graduates is positive, with an expected growth rate of 7% from 2019-2029. This is higher than the average growth rate for all occupations. Additionally, physics graduates often have a high earning potential, with a median annual salary of $122,220 in 2020.