Determining the orbital radius of extrasolar planets

In summary: The Attempt at a SolutionWe have a formula relating the period of the orbit to its radius. It is easy to observe the period, so the radius can then be calculated. The longer answer is that the formula has the mass of the star in it and that mass is not easy to observe. I think some guessing is involved but I don't really know. Stars are very interesting and a lot is known about how they work, so perhaps there is a way to guess the mass fairly well from observations of the star's characteristics.We have a formula relating the period of the orbit to its radius. It is easy to observe the period, so the radius can then be calculated. The longer answer is that
aggieg

Homework Statement

Basically I don't understand how you do this - the course I'm doing keeps mentioning the orbital radius of extrasolar planets but doesn't tell you HOW to find it?
Can anyone please help - in plain English, please, I'm not a natural scientist!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
We have a formula relating the period of the orbit to its radius. It is easy to observe the period, so the radius can then be calculated. The longer answer is that the formula has the mass of the star in it and that mass is not easy to observe. I think some guessing is involved but I don't really know. Stars are very interesting and a lot is known about how they work, so perhaps there is a way to guess the mass fairly well from observations of the star's characteristics.

Delphi51 said:
We have a formula relating the period of the orbit to its radius. It is easy to observe the period, so the radius can then be calculated. The longer answer is that the formula has the mass of the star in it and that mass is not easy to observe. I think some guessing is involved but I don't really know. Stars are very interesting and a lot is known about how they work, so perhaps there is a way to guess the mass fairly well from observations of the star's characteristics.

Hi Delphi
Yes, it's actually the formula I'm trying to find
Best wishes
AggieG

There is a lovely way to find the satellite formula for circular motion. You begin by saying Fc = Fg
meaning that the centripetal force required to hold the planet in circular motion is provided by the gravitational force between planet and star. Then fill in the detailed formulas for Fg and Fc (choosing the one with the period T in it rather than the one with velocity).

Determining the orbital radius of extrasolar planets is a complex process that involves multiple factors and techniques. In general terms, the orbital radius of a planet is the distance between the planet and its host star. This distance can vary greatly depending on the size and mass of the planet, as well as the characteristics of its host star.

To determine the orbital radius of an extrasolar planet, scientists use a variety of methods such as radial velocity, astrometry, and transit photometry. These techniques involve measuring the motion and position of the planet in relation to its host star and using mathematical equations to calculate the orbital radius.

One common method is the radial velocity method, which involves measuring the tiny wobbles in a star's motion caused by the gravitational pull of an orbiting planet. By analyzing these wobbles, scientists can calculate the orbital radius of the planet.

Another method is astrometry, which involves tracking the precise position of a star over time and using this data to determine the presence and characteristics of any orbiting planets.

The transit photometry method involves measuring the slight dip in a star's brightness as a planet passes in front of it. By analyzing the duration and frequency of these dips, scientists can calculate the orbital radius of the planet.

Overall, determining the orbital radius of extrasolar planets is a challenging but important task in the field of exoplanet research. It requires a combination of observational data, mathematical equations, and advanced techniques to accurately calculate this crucial parameter.

1. What is the orbital radius of an extrasolar planet?

The orbital radius of an extrasolar planet is the distance between the planet and its host star. It is usually measured in astronomical units (AU) or in kilometers (km).

2. How is the orbital radius of an extrasolar planet determined?

The orbital radius of an extrasolar planet is determined using various methods such as radial velocity, transit photometry, and direct imaging. These methods involve observing the planet's movement and position relative to its host star.

3. Why is determining the orbital radius of extrasolar planets important?

Determining the orbital radius of extrasolar planets is important in understanding the planet's characteristics and habitability. It also provides information about the planet's formation and evolution, as well as its potential for hosting life.

4. Are there any challenges in determining the orbital radius of extrasolar planets?

Yes, there are challenges in determining the orbital radius of extrasolar planets. Some of these challenges include the distance of the planet from Earth, the brightness of the host star, and the presence of other objects in the same orbit.

5. Can the orbital radius of extrasolar planets change over time?

Yes, the orbital radius of extrasolar planets can change over time due to various factors such as interactions with other planets, gravitational forces from nearby stars, and the expansion of the universe. However, these changes are usually very small and can only be detected over long periods of time.