How does the shape of a scramjet engine affect its thrust?

In summary: There are books and articles about the subject, but it is a little bit expensive to find them. I would recommend some good sources, like Rocket Science For Everyone by William Cooper or Introduction to Supersonic Flight by James R. Hansen. In summary, if you want to understand Scramjet engines, you will need to have some knowledge about Gas Dynamics.
xj420
I'm trying to fully understand scramjet engines but I can't seem to find a good source of information. I know the gist of what a scramjet engine is; I want to really understand the physics behind how it works and how the air flows thru the structure. If anyone help me and or knows a site or book that can help me out, please let me know.

Physics news on Phys.org
How much math have you had? I can recommend some books if you have access to a university library.

Im a sophmore in college so I don't have a great deal of knowledge in math. I know a good deal of calc. Yes I do have access to a university library.

There's a fairly good explanation here, from HowStuffWorks. I was particularly interested in the shape of the engine. It broadens out as one progresses aft of the combustion chamber, causing me to wonder how much of the thrust is provided by the burning gasses expanding laterally. If the airflow remains supersonic throughout combustion, it would seem that gettnig forward thrust from the explosion is impossible, and all the thrust must be from lateral pressure on the sides of the vent. Can anyone conform or refute?

LURCH said:
There's a fairly good explanation here, from HowStuffWorks. I was particularly interested in the shape of the engine. It broadens out as one progresses aft of the combustion chamber, causing me to wonder how much of the thrust is provided by the burning gasses expanding laterally. If the airflow remains supersonic throughout combustion, it would seem that gettnig forward thrust from the explosion is impossible, and all the thrust must be from lateral pressure on the sides of the vent. Can anyone conform or refute?

I would say the same, Lurch. The combustion chamber has the mission of pressurizing additionally the flow. My doubts are in the combustion process. In fact I wrote something in the Chemistry forum https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=40661 trying to undertand how the flame is formed, but no body except an spanish colleague answered me. The question is a little bit specific, and it involves the importance or not of the molecular diffusion transport in the chemical reaction. If anyone goes to that link, he will find a numerical simulation of a supersonic flame made in Fluent 6.0. I found it in a webpage.

To say the truth, XJ420, understanding how the Scramjet works is a little bit hard if you do not have some knowledge about elements of Gas Dynamics. The supersonic flow regimen is not an intitiuve subject.

1. What is a scramjet engine?

A scramjet (supersonic combustion ramjet) engine is a type of air-breathing jet engine that operates at hypersonic speeds, typically above Mach 5. It uses the forward motion of the aircraft to compress air, which is then mixed with fuel and ignited in a continuous process to produce thrust.

2. How does a scramjet engine differ from a traditional jet engine?

A traditional jet engine relies on a series of rotating blades to compress air before mixing it with fuel and igniting it. In a scramjet engine, air is compressed through the inlet's shockwave, eliminating the need for moving parts and allowing for operation at higher speeds.

3. What are the advantages of using a scramjet engine?

Scramjet engines offer several advantages over traditional jet engines. They can operate at higher speeds, resulting in faster flights and reduced travel time. They also have a simpler design, making them lighter and more efficient. Additionally, scramjet engines do not require onboard oxidizers, as they use the oxygen in the atmosphere for combustion, reducing the overall weight of the aircraft.

4. What are the challenges of developing and using scramjet engines?

One of the main challenges with scramjet engines is achieving stable combustion at hypersonic speeds. The high temperatures and pressures in the engine can also cause materials to degrade quickly, requiring advanced materials and cooling techniques. Additionally, scramjet engines are currently limited to use in high-speed, atmospheric flight, and cannot operate in the lower atmosphere or at low speeds.

5. What are some real-world applications of scramjet engines?

Scramjet engines have been used in experimental aircraft and missiles, such as the X-51A Waverider and the BrahMos-II missile. They also have potential applications in commercial space transportation and high-speed commercial aircraft. Additionally, scramjet engines could be used in military applications, such as hypersonic missiles and reconnaissance vehicles.