Is depression and/or anxiety genetic?

In summary, researchers have identified a gene responsible for a leak in the brain that can lead to depression and anxiety. They have also found that this gene can be treated with medication and psychotherapy. The article discusses the many different causes of depression and how different treatments work for different individuals.
Hoku
I'm not talking about your chances of having it if it runs in your family, because I can see depression and/or anxiety being contagious if you were raised in it. I'm talking about actual, they've isolated the gene, genetics.

I've often heard people say "it's a leak in the brain", as though the leak causes the depression/anxiety. If this is true, then they must have isolated the gene that causes the leak. How else could they make that claim? But I can't help but wonder if the depression or anxiety is what causes the leak, instead...

Biology news on Phys.org
Hoku said:
I'm not talking about your chances of having it if it runs in your family, because I can see depression and/or anxiety being contagious if you were raised in it. I'm talking about actual, they've isolated the gene, genetics.

I've often heard people say "it's a leak in the brain", as though the leak causes the depression/anxiety. If this is true, then they must have isolated the gene that causes the leak. How else could they make that claim? But I can't help but wonder if the depression or anxiety is what causes the leak, instead...

Interesting topic Hoku.

We were actually just discussing this in my clinical skills class relating to patient outcomes and cardiovascular disease.

Depression has become a "catch-all" term for many, many variations of disease. It has long since been known there is no "one mechanism" of depression-Some people it seems a serotonin problem, others dopamine, even others norepinephrine (noradrenaline for our UK readers).

Different medications, work on different neurohormonal transmitters and in each individual patient it is like a different disease. Its been shown that medication alone doesn't work and psychotherapy is a must for treating depression in the long term.

Some individuals it seems none of the culprits and things like ECT therapy (which I think sounds rather barbaric but the successful clinical outcomes speak for themselves) work best for treating.

Even in cases where pharmacological intervention does work, we don't understand why. There are lots of good hypothesis, but the supportive evidence of these is lacking.

Genes and behavior is a very tricky subject. Its not really cut and dry and there isn't really "this behavior or that behavior genes". Genes allow our behavior to mediate our environments, while at the same time our environments mediate our genes-- There is no "nature or nurture"--There is nature and nurture.

For a good layman's introduction to genes and behavior I'd recommend you pick up https://www.amazon.com/dp/0060932902/?tag=pfamazon01-20, also available as a book on tape/cd if you're into that.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Is depression and/or anxiety purely caused by genetics?

No, depression and anxiety are complex disorders that can be influenced by a combination of genetic, environmental, and psychological factors. While genetics may play a role in predisposing a person to these disorders, it is not the sole cause.

2. Are there specific genes that are linked to depression and anxiety?

There is no single gene that has been identified as causing depression or anxiety. However, there are several genes that have been associated with an increased risk for these disorders. These genes are believed to interact with each other and with environmental factors to contribute to the development of depression and anxiety.

3. Can depression and anxiety be inherited?

There is evidence to suggest that depression and anxiety can be inherited, meaning that they can run in families. However, it is important to note that just because a person has a family member with depression or anxiety, it does not necessarily mean they will develop these disorders as well.

4. Can depression and anxiety skip a generation?

While some people may assume that depression and anxiety can skip a generation, there is no scientific evidence to support this idea. As mentioned, these disorders are complex and can be influenced by a combination of genetic and environmental factors, so it is not as simple as skipping a generation.

5. Can lifestyle choices and experiences influence the development of depression and anxiety?

Yes, lifestyle choices and experiences can play a significant role in the development of depression and anxiety. Factors such as stress, trauma, and substance abuse can all contribute to the development of these disorders. It is important to address these factors in addition to genetics when considering the development of depression and anxiety.