Strange implications of NASA's Gravity Probe B

In summary, Gravity probe B is a space probe designed to detect the effect of the Earth's mass and rotation on the distortion of space. The probe's designers believe that this can be seen through the deflection of gyroscopic devices on board. This also suggests that the vacuum has both the ability to push and hinder motion, similar to a viscous substance. However, this model is frame-dependent. As for calculating the resistance to motion of the Earth as it orbits the sun, the formula for the rate of change of orbital period is proportional to the ratio of orbital velocity to the speed of light raised to the fifth power. But if the Earth were in free space, it would not experience any slowing down.
Ian
Gravity probe B is designed to detect the distortion of space (both the linear compression and lateral shear of the vacuum) that the mass of the Earth produces by it's presence in space and it's rotation on it's axis. The hope is that this might be seen in the anticipated deflection of very sensitive gyroscopic devices on board the probe.

If my description above is correct, then what the probes designers are saying is that the vacuum is able to both impart motion to matter, and also hinder it - i.e. inertial forces. Another simpler way of saying this is that the vacuum is viscous.
This also says that any mass moving through the vacuum must have an influence on the vacuum (as does the Earth's rotation, if it does) - so therefore common sense tells me that if this is true I should be able to calculate the resistance to motion of the Earth say, as it orbits the sun.
I can calculate the force that imparts the motion, but how do I calculate the force that restricts it?
To be precise - an expression of an opposite force (F = mg)as Newton said, is inadequate, I want to calculate the force in terms of the vacuum and it's retarding effect (the inertia)if it exists.

Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
The biggest problem I have with your model of the vacuum as a physical substance (one with "viscosity') is that it is frame dependent.

As far as your question goes:

The Earth would eventually spiral into the sun, due to the emission of gravitational radiation, except that the sun will probably turn into a red giant first and it's questionable that the Earth will survive long enough.

Unfortunately I don't know the detailed formula for how long this would take - the best I could find out quickly was that the rate of change of the orbital period, dP/dt, was proportional to (v/c)^5 for small orbital velocities v.

http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/gr-qc/?0402007.

on page 3 of the full paper.

But if the Earth were in free space, with no other bodies around, it would not "slow down" at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Your understanding of the implications of NASA's Gravity Probe B seems to be correct. The probe is designed to measure the effects of the Earth's mass and rotation on the surrounding space, which in turn affects the motion of the probe's gyroscopes. This suggests that the vacuum of space is not completely empty, but rather has some sort of viscosity that can both aid and hinder the motion of objects within it.

As for calculating the force that restricts the motion of the Earth as it orbits the sun, it would likely be a very complex and difficult task. This would require a deep understanding of the nature of space and its interactions with matter. It is also worth noting that the vacuum of space is not a perfect vacuum and does have some particles and energy present, which could also affect the motion of objects.

In terms of calculating the force in terms of the vacuum and its retarding effect, this would likely require further research and experimentation. The Gravity Probe B mission is just one step in understanding the complexities of space and its interactions with matter. It will take continued research and advancements in technology to fully understand and calculate these forces.

1. What is NASA's Gravity Probe B and what is its purpose?

Gravity Probe B is a satellite launched by NASA in 2004 to measure the effects of gravity on space and time. Its main purpose is to test Einstein's theory of general relativity by measuring the warping of space and time around Earth.

2. How does Gravity Probe B measure the warping of space and time?

The satellite is equipped with four ultra-precise gyroscopes that measure the direction and tilt of the spin axis. By measuring the tiny changes in the gyroscopes' orientation, scientists can determine the amount of warping caused by Earth's gravity.

3. What are some of the strange implications of Gravity Probe B's findings?

The findings of Gravity Probe B have confirmed many of Einstein's predictions, such as the geodetic effect and frame-dragging. These effects have important implications for our understanding of gravity and the structure of the universe.

4. How long did it take for Gravity Probe B to collect and analyze its data?

The data collection phase of the mission lasted for 16 months, from August 2004 to September 2005. However, it took several years for scientists to analyze and interpret the data before publishing their results.

5. What impact does Gravity Probe B have on future space missions?

The success of Gravity Probe B has paved the way for future space missions that aim to test and refine our understanding of gravity. It has also led to advancements in technology, such as more precise gyroscopes, that can be used in future missions to study the effects of gravity on space and time.