Calculating the Primitive of sqrt(x^2-4)/x^4 using Substitution Method

• Thread starter joao_pimentel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary, João is seeking help with finding the primitive/integral of sqrt(x^2-4)/x^4. He has tried using the substitution x=2*sec(t), but the resulting equation is different from what is shown on Wolfram. After receiving some suggestions, João decides to use a trigonometric substitution and is able to solve the integral. He shares his solution on a website and thanks the person who helped him.
joao_pimentel
Hi there people

Can anyone help me with this issue?

I'm trying to calculate this primitive

P sqrt(x^2-4)/x^4

I tried the substitution x=2*sec(t) and it seems to work but at the end I get something like:

1/6*(sin(arccos(2/x)))^3

and this is quite different from what we can observe at Wolfram which is:

((x^2-4)^(3/2)) / (12x^3)

Can anyone give me some suggestion?

Thanks in advance!

João

http://MatemáticaViva.pt

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, try to rewrite sin (arccos(y)), using the relation:
[tex]sin^{2}x+\cos^{2}x=1, x=arccos(y)[/tex]

Thank you very much... it seems to work, but there is any other way to integrate sqrt(x^2-4)/x^4 without trigonometric functions, making it directly without the transformation x=a*sec(t) ?

Thank you

João

http://MatemáticaViva.pt

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, you might use the hyperbolic substitution, x=2cosh(y)

Ok... I will try, but I was trying to figure out how to reach the result ((x^2-4)^(3/2)) / (12x^3) given by Wolfram, which I suppose is correct, without trigonometric functions, since the result does not involve any trigonometry...

Thank you very much

But kindly look at this:
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integrate+sqrt(x^2-4)/x^4

There's any way of calculating this integral without using trigonometry?

Thank you in advance

João

Not that I know of.

1. What is the general approach to solving this integral?

The general approach to solving this integral is to use a combination of algebraic manipulation and integration by parts. First, we can rewrite the expression as sqrt(x^2-4)/x^4 = (x^2-4)^1/2/x^4. Then, we can use the substitution u = x^2-4 and du = 2x dx to simplify the expression. Finally, we can use integration by parts with u = (x^2-4)^1/2 and dv = 1/x^4 to find the solution.

2. Can this integral be solved using a different method?

Yes, this integral can also be solved using the substitution u = 2/x and du = -2/x^2 dx. This will result in the expression sqrt(u^2-1)/u^2, which can be solved using trigonometric substitution.

3. Is it possible to solve this integral without using any substitutions?

No, it is not possible to solve this integral without using any substitutions. The complexity of the expression requires us to use substitutions in order to simplify it and find a solution.

4. What would be the limits of integration for this integral?

The limits of integration would depend on the specific problem that the integral is a part of. Generally, the limits would be defined by the bounds of the function that is being integrated and any given constraints or boundaries of the problem.

5. How can this integral be applied in real-world situations?

This integral can be applied in various real-world situations, particularly in physics and engineering. For example, it can be used to calculate the work done by a variable force, the position of an object in a gravitational field, or the energy stored in an electric field. It can also be used to find the center of mass of a non-uniform object or the moment of inertia of a rotating body.