Why Can't a Uniform External Gravitational Field Raise Tides on Earth?

In summary, a uniform external gravitational field cannot raise tides on the Earth because there is a noticeable difference in the strength of the gravitational forces on the side of the Earth facing the moon versus either the strength of the force on the center of the Earth or the strength of the force on the side opposite the moon.
brian0918
One of my homework problems for GR says:

"Explain why a uniform external gravitiational field cannot raise tides on the Earth."

My explanation is:

Because of the large size of the Earth compared to the distance the Earth is from the moon, the nonuniformity of the moon's gravitational field implies that there is a noticeable difference between the strength of the force on the side of the Earth facing the moon versus either the strength of the force on the center of the Earth or the strength of the force on the side opposite the moon.

So, the water closest to the moon is pulled away from the Earth, and the Earth is pulled away from the far water.

This can't happen in a uniform g field, as the forces at each point would be equal and everything would be pulled toward the moon with the same force.

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the question?

One statement you made is in error - the distance from Earth to moon is much greater than the diameter of the earth. However tides still occur. The sun's gravity also has an effect, although smaller than the moon's.

I just wanted you to check if my explanation answers the question. I didn't say the Earth's diameter is larger than its distance to the moon, just that its size is large enough to have a noticeable effect when it comes to tidal forces.

brian0918 said:

"Explain why a uniform external gravitiational field cannot raise tides on the Earth."

My explanation is:

Because of the large size of the Earth compared to the distance the Earth is from the moon, the nonuniformity of the moon's gravitational field implies that there is a noticeable difference between the strength of the force on the side of the Earth facing the moon versus either the strength of the force on the center of the Earth or the strength of the force on the side opposite the moon.

This is good, except that you are using a language that is different from what people use in physics and that may cause some confusion (like in the reply you got). I know what you mean by "large size compared to.." but most people would take this as meaning that the Earth is larger than the distance to the Moon! I know that's not what you meant but that's how people woul interpret it. The correct jargon would be to say that "the size of the Earth is not negligible compared to the distance to the Moon". This means that the Earth is smaller but not small to the point that it can be neglected. Which is what you meant, I think.

So, the water closest to the moon is pulled away from the Earth, and the Earth is pulled away from the far water.

This can't happen in a uniform g field, as the forces at each point would be equal and everything would be pulled toward the moon with the same force.

That's good. Although maybe you should not mention the Moon in the last sentence. It's clear that we are no longer talking about the Moon if we are discussing a uniform field. I woud probably just finish by "...and everything would be pulled with the same force". But I am nitpicking here.

Overall, your explanation shows that you understand the concept well. I would give full marks if I were your teacher!

Pat

brian0918 said:

My explanation is:

The only issue I have with your answer is that you spend a lot of time talking about how tides are raised on the Earth, and not very much time talking about why a uniform gravitational field wouldn't raise tides.

Did they cover the geodesic deviation equation in your course? You might be able to formulate a shorter answer by considering the geodesics in a uniform field on the "near side" and "far side" of the earth.

Consider a spherical ball of dust free falling towards a gravitating mass M. The sides of the ball are not going to fall parallel but converge on M. Furthermore the nearest point of the ball to M is under a stronger gravitational attraction/greater curvature than its centre whereas the furthest point is under a weaker attraction than the centre.

Hence the ball is going to be elongated towards M.

Now assume the frame of reference at the centre of the ball. You have a more or less spherical shape with two tidal bulges, one towards the M and one directly away from M.

In a uniform gravitational field all the points of the dust ball will travel parallel to each other and there will be no tidal forces. [There will be no gravitational attraction either for that matter - the presence of a gravitational field always involves tidal forces, although the ball may be so small w.r.t. the distance to M that they are too small to be observed.]

Garth

What causes tides?

Tides are primarily caused by the gravitational pull of the moon and the sun on the Earth's oceans. As the Earth rotates, the gravitational force of the moon and sun create bulges in the ocean, resulting in high and low tides.

Why do tides occur twice a day?

Tides occur twice a day due to the rotation of the Earth. As the Earth rotates, different areas of the ocean are exposed to the gravitational pull of the moon and sun, resulting in two high tides and two low tides each day.

Do tides affect all bodies of water?

Yes, tides can affect all bodies of water, including lakes, rivers, and even underground water sources. However, the effects of tides may be more noticeable in larger bodies of water such as oceans.

Can tides be predicted?

Yes, tides can be predicted using mathematical equations that take into account the positions of the moon and sun, as well as the Earth's rotation and gravitational pull. This allows scientists to accurately predict the height and timing of tides at specific locations.

Do tides affect marine life?

Yes, tides can have a significant impact on marine life. Many species of marine animals rely on the tides for navigation, feeding, and reproduction. Tides can also bring in nutrients and flush out waste, creating a diverse and dynamic environment for marine life.