What Distinguishes AM from FM Transmitter Circuit Designs?

In summary, AM and FM circuit design are two different methods used for transmitting and receiving radio signals. AM, or amplitude modulation, varies the amplitude of the carrier wave to transmit information, while FM, or frequency modulation, varies the frequency of the carrier wave. The design of these circuits involves understanding the principles of modulation, demodulation, and filtering, as well as utilizing components such as capacitors, inductors, and transistors. Seeking help from experts in the field can provide valuable guidance and assistance in designing efficient and effective AM and FM circuits.
Razzledazle
I have been studying multiple AM and FM transmitter schematics trying to distinguish the differences in the circuit that create either am AM (amplitude modulated) or and FM (frequency modulated) RF signal. I have hit a road block as I am unable to see any significant differences between the two sets of schematics that would create the different types of modulation.

FM example http://www.electronics-project-design.com/images/3VFMTxSch.GIF

AM ecample http://www.diy-electronic-projects.com/projects/82/bigs/amtx.gif

My over all goal is to create an FM AV transmitter for FPV flying of a model aircraft, but first I have to understand the basics of the FM transmitter circuit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I agree, those schematics are remarkably similar. I suspect that they both produce FM and that the AM receiver can receive it by slope detection. Slope detection is the process whereby an AM receiver can receive FM by slightly mis-tuning the frequency so that the frequency modulation is centered on the slope of the AM bandwidth. As the frequency is modulated, it slides up and down the slope producing an amplitude modulated signal which can be detected by an AM detector.

You can amplitude modulate a carrier by modulating the voltage to the final stage. This takes an extra stage because if you try modulating the voltage of the oscillator, you run the risk of killing the oscillation.

The oscillator stage is pretty ugly and it will be drifting in frequency. The output is not filtered and so it will be producing a lot of garbage noise. The oscillator bias is being pulled right on the spot by the input stage which will cause AM modulation, as well as FM modulation, because capacitance of the transistor will vary with respect to input, and hence the LC frequency.

Waht, After doing a little more research what you said made sense, about the input to the transistor causing FM modulation because changes in the transistors internal capacitance.

I am still having a hard time understanding what you are trying to explain here.
waht said:
The oscillator bias is being pulled right on the spot by the input stage which will cause AM modulation.

Waht and skeptic2 thank you for your help so far.

Here is a link to an explanation of the FM schematic that I posted.
http://www.electronicecircuits.com/electronic-circuits/3v-fm-transmitter/

In the interests of frequency stability, why not use a 'proper' oscillator, based on a crystal. This can be 'pulled' with a varactor diode for a good, linear frequency modulation.
Then, for AM, why not, again, use a good oscillator followed by a good amplitude modulator / output stage?
There are loads of project circuits which are much easier to understand than the two that you have considered- largely because they work on the lines of the functional block diagram of FM and AM systems. They will involve a few more components but you would have a better chance of understanding what's going on than in a circuit that 'does everything' with just one transistor in the output.
Someone should mention that your local regulations may consider your project illegal. Perhaps you should make sure. Those circuits are not likely to behave in a very neighbourly way, compared with a better engineered system.

This diagram shows an oscillator with a few parts added to provide FM.

[PLAIN]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4222062/FM.PNG

Except for the 3 components at the left of the diagram, it is a fairly standard oscillator which could be used from 3 MHz to 15 MHz. This frequency is set mainly by the coil inductance and the capacitance of the capacitors across it.

The varicap (varactor) diode varies its capacitance according to the voltage on it. If this is audio, the capacitance changes cause the oscillator frequency to change with the audio.

Varicap diodes do not produce a linear capacitance change with voltage, so this circuit will produce distorted output if the audio input voltage is too high. However it will sound quite OK for small audio levels.

The varicap diode must be reverse biased, so the audio shown would have to have a positive DC component.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the difference between AM and FM circuit design?

The main difference between AM (Amplitude Modulation) and FM (Frequency Modulation) circuit design lies in the way the carrier signal is modulated. In AM, the amplitude of the carrier signal is varied to transmit the information, while in FM, the frequency of the carrier signal is varied.

Which type of circuit design is more commonly used in radio broadcasting?

FM circuit design is more commonly used in radio broadcasting because it provides better sound quality and less susceptibility to interference compared to AM circuit design.

What are the key components of an AM or FM circuit design?

The key components of an AM or FM circuit design include a modulator, which modulates the input signal onto the carrier signal, a demodulator, which extracts the original signal from the modulated carrier signal, and a tuner, which selects the desired frequency from the radio waves.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of AM and FM circuit design?

The advantages of AM circuit design include its simplicity and ability to transmit over long distances. However, it is prone to interference and provides lower sound quality compared to FM circuit design. FM circuit design, on the other hand, offers higher sound quality and less interference, but it is more complex and requires more bandwidth.

How can I improve the performance of my AM or FM circuit design?

To improve the performance of an AM or FM circuit design, you can use better quality components, ensure proper grounding and shielding, and adjust the circuit parameters for optimal performance. You can also use signal amplifiers or filters to enhance the signal strength and reduce interference. It is also important to regularly maintain and tune the circuit design for optimal performance.