Torsional rigidity of 6061-T6 aluminum of varying thickness?

In summary, determining the torsional rigidity values for both the 1/4" and 3/8" thick aluminum chassis reinforcement plates can help you determine which one would be more effective for your 3000# track car.
Sam_Sung
I'm here because I'm debating the purchase of a 1/4" thick 6061-t6 aluminum chassis reinforcement plate for a 3000# track car, versus one that is 3/8" thick. This is a chassis plate that runs below the length of the driveshaft and helps tie the left/right sides of the car together. Let's say the plate is 4 feet long and 1 foot wide.

The question isn't which is more torsionally rigid, the question is which is most effective in the real-world?

Ie. Let's say both are over-engineered and can withstand forces beyond what the car's shocks/springs/tire grip could ever handle. In this case, there's no added benefit to getting the 3/8" thick plate if the 1/4" plate is already well over-engineered.

But really, this layman doesn't know where to start; how does one find the torsional (flexural?) rigidty values?

I've searched the "Internet" and found aluminum vs steel strength comparisons, but they don't say what the thickness of the Al material is...

Thanks for any input you can provide!
- Sam

Engineering news on Phys.org
You can calculate the torsional rigidity (also known as flexural rigidity) of the aluminum plates using the following equation: T = (W x L^3)/12 x (E x I). In this equation, W is the load applied, L is the length of the plate, E is the modulus of elasticity of the material (for aluminum, it's 10^6 psi), and I is the second moment of area for the cross-section of the plate. You can find the second moment of area for a rectangular section by using the formula I=bh^3/12, where b is the width of the plate and h is the thickness. By plugging in the values for the two plates (1/4" and 3/8"), you should be able to calculate the differences in torsional rigidity between them. Once you have the values, you can compare them to determine which plate would be more effective in real-world applications.

1. What is the definition of torsional rigidity?

Torsional rigidity is a measure of a material's resistance to twisting or torsion when a torque is applied to it.

2. How is the torsional rigidity of 6061-T6 aluminum affected by varying thickness?

The torsional rigidity of 6061-T6 aluminum increases with increasing thickness. This is because thicker materials have a larger cross-sectional area, which results in a greater resistance to torsion.

3. What is the significance of 6061-T6 aluminum in terms of torsional rigidity?

6061-T6 aluminum is a commonly used alloy in structural and engineering applications. It is known for its high strength and excellent corrosion resistance, making it a popular choice for various products that require torsional rigidity.

4. How is the torsional rigidity of 6061-T6 aluminum measured?

The torsional rigidity of 6061-T6 aluminum can be measured using a torsion testing machine, which applies a torque to the material and measures the resulting angular displacement. The torsional rigidity is then calculated using the applied torque and the material's dimensions.

5. Can the torsional rigidity of 6061-T6 aluminum be improved?

Yes, the torsional rigidity of 6061-T6 aluminum can be improved by alloying it with other elements or by subjecting it to heat treatments. These processes can increase the strength and stiffness of the material, resulting in a higher torsional rigidity.