How can I design an airplane to carry a specific amount of weight?

In summary, the conversation was about someone seeking beginner resources on aerodynamics, airfoils, lift, and drag in order to design a model aircraft. Two recommended books were "Theory of Wing Sections" by Abbot and Von Doenhoff and "Aircraft Design" by Raymer. The person seeking help was in their final year of university and needed to do research and design on an aircraft, but did not have a background in aerospace engineering.
Jones1987
Hi guys,

Looking to designing a model air craft, but I want it to be able to carry X amount of mass of my choice. So to do this I need the basics on aerodynamics, air foils, lift and drag.

If anyone could set me in the direction to some beginner material, as Aero is a new topic to me and I'm not really sure where to begin. I would be really grateful.

Books or sites, all help is welcome :D

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
For starters To get off the ground you will need at least Lift = Weight, also you want to know the slowest speed you want to fly at (stall). So now you know the minimum CL you need for your design. Now you can size your wing accordingly. A bit oversimplified yes, but it is some starting point to give you insight.

Check out "Theory of Wing Sections" by Abbot and Von Doenhoff. It was one of the first "true" aero books I ever read. Can find it for 12 bucks on Amazon

viscousflow said:
For starters To get off the ground you will need at least Lift = Weight, also you want to know the slowest speed you want to fly at (stall). So now you know the minimum CL you need for your design. Now you can size your wing accordingly. A bit oversimplified yes, but it is some starting point to give you insight.

Check out "Theory of Wing Sections" by Abbot and Von Doenhoff. I don't know your academic maturity but, "Aircraft Design" by Raymer is also a good text.

Hey, thanks for the reply. Its much appreciated.

I'm currently in my finals of university, but I don't take an Aero module, however I have to do some research and a small design on an air craft. So I will search for the books you have stated and get cracking.

As some of the material I have found is purely for the intermediate or advanced Aerospace Engineering

At the lower end of the technical spectrum is "A Practical Guide to Airplane Performance and Design", Crawford.

1. What is an airfoil and how does it work?

An airfoil is a shape designed to produce lift when air flows over it. It works by creating a difference in air pressure between the upper and lower surfaces, with a lower pressure on the upper surface and a higher pressure on the lower surface. This difference in pressure creates an upward force, or lift, on the airfoil, allowing it to generate lift and provide support for an aircraft.

2. How do the shape and size of an airfoil affect its aerodynamics?

The shape and size of an airfoil play a crucial role in its aerodynamics. The curvature and thickness of an airfoil, known as its camber, can affect the amount of lift and drag it produces. A thicker airfoil will produce more lift at lower speeds, while a thinner airfoil will produce less drag at higher speeds.

3. What factors can affect the performance of an airfoil?

Several factors can affect the performance of an airfoil, including airspeed, angle of attack, air density, and surface roughness. The speed of the air flowing over the airfoil, the angle at which it meets the air, the density of the air, and the smoothness of the airfoil's surface can all impact its lift and drag characteristics.

4. How does the angle of attack affect the lift and drag of an airfoil?

The angle of attack, or the angle at which the airfoil meets the air, is a critical factor in determining the amount of lift and drag an airfoil produces. As the angle of attack increases, so does the lift, up to a certain point called the critical angle of attack. Beyond this point, the lift decreases, and the drag increases, potentially leading to a loss of lift and a stall.

5. What are some real-world applications of airfoils and aerodynamics?

Airfoils and aerodynamics have many practical applications, including in the design of aircraft wings, propellers, and helicopter blades. They are also used in the development of wind turbines, race cars, and even high-speed trains. Understanding airfoils and aerodynamics is essential for creating efficient and stable methods of transportation and energy production.