Understanding the Mass-Energy Equivalence Concept behind E=mc2

In summary: Its the same way if you use grams or whatever. I don't know how to explain my bemusement properly. In summary, the units for energy, mass, and momentum are defined so that the equation EE=ppcccc+mmcc is true, but this definition is not arbitrary. It approximates the Newtonian definitions for low velocities, makes energy conservation true in special relativity, and corresponds to quantities that can be measured.
Jarwulf
For E=mc2

I'm having trouble understanding intuitively how every kilogram of m conveniently is associated with a neat c2 joules since as far as I know neither kg or joules were formulated with c in mind. I've seen that the mathematical derivation works out but I can't quite put it together on a qualitative level.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're worried why the units "work out" mysteriously, it's just that the Joule is defined in terms of kilograms, meters, and seconds.

It isn't. Mass, momentum and energy are redefined so that the formula EE=ppcccc+mmcc is true. However, the redefinition is not cavalier. It approximates the Newtonian definitions for low velocities. It makes energy conservation true in special relativity. And the relativistic quantities correspond to quantities that can be measured.

It's not any more mysterious than the Lorentz transformations which mix space and time, again with "c" coming into make the units right.

I think ou have 2 too many c's by the p's and 2 too few c's by the m's. Should be EE=ppcc+mmcccc in your notation.

Ooops, yes.

Matterwave said:
If you're worried why the units "work out" mysteriously, it's just that the Joule is defined in terms of kilograms, meters, and seconds.

I guess I'm missing something here but I find it odd that an arbitrary unit of mass has the energy to have 1 Newton of force applied to it over the distance of exactly a lightyear squared. Its the same way if you use grams or whatever. I don't know how to explain my bemusement properly.

Matterwave said:
It isn't. Mass, momentum and energy are redefined so that the formula EE=ppcccc+mmcc is true. However, the redefinition is not cavalier. It approximates the Newtonian definitions for low velocities. It makes energy conservation true in special relativity. And the relativistic quantities correspond to quantities that can be measured.

It's not any more mysterious than the Lorentz transformations which mix space and time, again with "c" coming into make the units right.

So the units are redefined? I usually see kg meters and seconds in the equation used although I heard any consistent set of units would work though.

Jarwulf said:
For E=mc2

I'm having trouble understanding intuitively how every kilogram of m conveniently is associated with a neat c2 joules since as far as I know neither kg or joules were formulated with c in mind. I've seen that the mathematical derivation works out but I can't quite put it together on a qualitative level.
In units of kilograms and joules the equivalence isn't very "neat" at all, for example one kilogram of mass would have a rest energy of 8.9875517873681764 * 10^16 joules. A more neat system would be one where one unit of mass had a rest energy equal to one unit of energy, as in Planck units. The fact that the equivalence involves such arbitrary-looking numbers when expressed in kilograms and joules is a good sign that these units weren't designed by people who knew about the equivalence in advance!
Jarwulf said:
I guess I'm missing something here but I find it odd that an arbitrary unit of mass has the energy to have 1 Newton of force applied to it over the distance of exactly a lightyear squared.
But that's not actually true, c^2 is the speed of light squared, which is totally different from "a light year squared" or any other arbitrary unit of distance squared. The equivalence says nothing about the energy needed to pushing a given amount of mass a certain distance (which would in any case depend on how quickly you wanted the mass to traverse the distance).

Last edited:

1. What is the mass-energy equivalence concept behind E=mc2?

The mass-energy equivalence concept behind E=mc2 is a fundamental principle in physics that states that mass and energy are interchangeable and are different forms of the same underlying quantity. This concept was proposed by Albert Einstein in his theory of special relativity, where he showed that mass can be converted into energy and vice versa.

2. How does the equation E=mc2 relate to the mass-energy equivalence concept?

The equation E=mc2 is a mathematical representation of the mass-energy equivalence concept, where E represents energy, m represents mass, and c represents the speed of light. This equation shows that the energy of an object is directly proportional to its mass and the square of the speed of light.

3. What does the speed of light have to do with the mass-energy equivalence concept?

The speed of light, denoted by c, is a crucial factor in the mass-energy equivalence concept. This is because it is the maximum speed at which energy can travel in the universe. According to Einstein's theory, the square of the speed of light is a constant that relates the amount of energy an object contains to its mass.

4. Can mass really be converted into energy and vice versa?

Yes, the mass-energy equivalence concept has been experimentally verified and has been used in various applications, such as nuclear power and nuclear weapons. In nuclear reactions, a small amount of mass is converted into a large amount of energy, as predicted by the equation E=mc2.

5. How does the mass-energy equivalence concept impact our understanding of the universe?

The mass-energy equivalence concept has greatly impacted our understanding of the universe, as it has led to the development of theories and technologies that have changed the world. It has also led to the realization that matter and energy are not separate entities but are different forms of the same thing, providing a deeper understanding of the fundamental nature of the universe.