Problem in finding functions Domain & Rage of a peacewise function

In summary, the domain of the given function is (-∞, -1] ∪ (-1, 1) ∪ [1, ∞) and the range is (-∞, 1] ∪ (-1, 1) ∪ [2, ∞).
sadaf2605

Homework Statement

Find the domain and range:
{ x+2, x[tex]\leq[/tex]0
f(x) ={x3, |x|<1
{-x+3, x[tex]\geq[/tex]1

Homework Equations

domain = possible inputs
range = possible outputs

The Attempt at a Solution

domain of f(x) = (-[tex]\alpha[/tex], -1] [tex]\cup[/tex] (-1, 1) [tex]\cup[/tex] [1, [tex]\alpha[/tex])
=(-[tex]\alpha[/tex], [tex]\alpha[/tex])

range of f(x) = (-[tex]\alpha[/tex], 1] [tex]\cup[/tex] (-1, 1) [tex]\cup[/tex] [2, [tex]\alpha[/tex])
= (-[tex]\alpha[/tex], 1] [tex]\cup[/tex] [2, [tex]\alpha[/tex])

Physics news on Phys.org
sadaf2605 said:

Homework Statement

Find the domain and range:
{ x+2, x[tex]\leq[/tex]0
f(x) ={x3, |x|<1
{-x+3, x[tex]\geq[/tex]1
Are you sure that the part I bolded isn't -1?

domain of f(x) = (-[tex]\alpha[/tex], -1] [tex]\cup[/tex] (-1, 1) [tex]\cup[/tex] [1, [tex]\alpha[/tex])
=(-[tex]\alpha[/tex], [tex]\alpha[/tex])
Use "\infty" if you want to display ∞. It's also better to put entire expressions within the tex tags, instead of putting individual symbols within tex tags, like ths:
[tex]\begin{aligned}
\text{domain of f(x) } &= (-\infty, -1] \cup (-1, 1) \cup [1, \infty) \\
&= (-\infty, \infty)
\end{aligned}[/tex]
(Click the expression above to see the code I typed.)

Last edited:
eumyang said:
Are you sure that the part I bolded isn't -1?

you are right that part would be -1 and i did a lot of typing mistakes, and now help me finding the range of this function!

1. What is a piecewise function?

A piecewise function is a function that is defined by different equations or rules for different parts of its domain. This means that the function may have different formulas or expressions depending on which part of the domain the input falls into.

2. How do I find the domain of a piecewise function?

The domain of a piecewise function is the set of all possible inputs for which the function is defined. To find the domain, you need to consider the domain of each individual piece or part of the function and find the intersection of these domains.

3. What is the range of a piecewise function?

The range of a piecewise function is the set of all possible output values that the function can produce. This can be found by evaluating the function for each piece of its domain and finding the union of all the resulting output values.

4. How do I graph a piecewise function?

To graph a piecewise function, you need to graph each individual piece or part of the function separately and then combine these graphs. Make sure to pay attention to the domain and range of each piece to accurately plot the graph.

5. What are some common challenges in finding the domain and range of a piecewise function?

One common challenge is identifying the correct domain for each piece of the function. This may involve considering any restrictions or limitations on the input values. Another challenge is determining the union or intersection of multiple domains or ranges. Additionally, graphing a piecewise function can be challenging if the pieces have different behaviors or if there are discontinuities in the function.