Why am I getting Vout = Vsupply in my op amp circuit?

• Thread starter ponjavic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Amp Op amp
In summary: If you don't, double-check the pinout of the opamp to be sure you are connecting it correctly. Try a 2nd opamp chip in case the first one is blown. You do have the opamp chip socketed, right?
ponjavic
Hi!

I solder the following circuit:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Op-Amp_Non-Inverting_Amplifier.svg

With an opamp of +-5V or 0-10V operation

I use a 12V dc supply and give a Vin of 0.05V with resistors 10k and 1k.

For all cases no matter what I supply I get Vout = Vsupply.

Then we stripped everything nad just tried to supply v- and v+ 1.0001 and 1.0002 and still got Vout = Vsupply

Any ideas?

Engineering news on Phys.org
ponjavic said:
Hi!

For all cases no matter what I supply I get Vout = Vsupply.

Then we stripped everything nad just tried to supply v- and v+ 1.0001 and 1.0002 and still got Vout = Vsupply

Any ideas?

Stay with the +/-5V supplies for now. When you put in 0V, you should get out 0v.

If you don't, double-check the pinout of the opamp to be sure you are connecting it correctly. Try a 2nd opamp chip in case the first one is blown. You do have the opamp chip socketed, right?

Double-check the resistances with a DVM. Maybe the resistors are not what you think, or are damaged. Check the resistances with the power off.

Last edited:
ponjavic said:
Hi!

For all cases no matter what I supply I get Vout = Vsupply.Then we stripped everything nad just tried to supply v- and v+ 1.0001 and 1.0002 and still got Vout = Vsupply

Any ideas?

The circuit in Wikipedia assumes a dual voltage power supply.
If you want to use one power supply, you need to do this:
[PLAIN]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4222062/opamp%20non%20inv%20bias.PNG

This will have a gain of 9 but centred around 6 volts.
So, 6 volts in gives 6 volts out.
6.1 volts in gives (6 V + (9 * 0.1)) or 6.9 volts out.
6.5 volts in gives (6 V + (9 * 0.5)) or 10.5 volts out.
5.8 volts in gives (6 volts - (9 * 0.2)) or 4.2 volts out.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is an op amp?

An op amp, short for operational amplifier, is an electronic device that amplifies the difference between two input voltages. It is commonly used in electronic circuits to perform mathematical operations, such as addition and subtraction, and to amplify small signals to a level that can be processed by other components.

How does an op amp work?

An op amp typically consists of a differential input stage, a gain stage, and an output stage. The differential input stage compares the two input voltages and produces a high gain output signal. The gain stage amplifies this signal and the output stage drives the output voltage towards the desired value. The output voltage is controlled by a feedback mechanism that adjusts the input voltages to maintain a stable output.

What is the difference between "op amp problem" and "Vs = Vout"?

"Op amp problem" refers to any issue or malfunction that may occur with an op amp in a circuit. "Vs = Vout" is a specific equation that represents the ideal behavior of an op amp, where the output voltage (Vout) is equal to the input voltage (Vs) multiplied by the op amp's gain. This equation is often used as a starting point for analyzing op amp circuits.

How do I troubleshoot an op amp problem?

When troubleshooting an op amp problem, it is important to check the power supply, connections, and component values. You can also use a multimeter to measure the voltages at different points in the circuit and compare them to expected values. If necessary, you may need to replace the op amp or other components in the circuit.

What are some common applications of op amps?

Op amps are used in a wide range of electronic devices, including audio amplifiers, signal filters, voltage regulators, and sensors. They are also commonly used in instrumentation and control systems, such as in medical equipment, automotive systems, and industrial machinery. Op amps are a versatile and essential component in many electronic circuits.