The Road to Reality By Penrose?

In summary, the book is a dense read for someone without prior math knowledge. It is a great book for someone who wants to learn more about the subject matter.
Gecko
"The Road to Reality" By Penrose?

i live in the US and decided to get this book off of amazon.com. i was wondering if anyone has read, or atleast skimmed (its pretty big) through it and would mind telling me if its a good buy(although if it isnt, its a little late now :tongue2:).

also, I am pretty new to most of the theories. all of my knowledge has come from "A Brief History of Time", "The Elegant Universe", "The Universe in a Nutshell", and "Hyperspace". Do you think i could plow my way through this book or would it be way over my head? thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gecko said:
i live in the US and decided to get this book off of amazon.com. i was wondering if anyone has read, or atleast skimmed (its pretty big) through it and would mind telling me if its a good buy(although if it isnt, its a little late now :tongue2:).

also, I am pretty new to most of the theories. all of my knowledge has come from "A Brief History of Time", "The Elegant Universe", "The Universe in a Nutshell", and "Hyperspace". Do you think i could plow my way through this book or would it be way over my head? thanks.

It apparently takes no prisoners on math. I haven't seen a copy but it is apparently a great book if (a) You want something on the coffee table to impress the neighbors, or (b)you already know the subjects it covers. YMMD.

well, I am taking calculus in math right now. how high up does it go? and what's YMMD mean?

Here's another acronym: SIAS (suck it and see). Read the preface carefully as Penrose gives good advice on how to tackle the book. It's good that you are doing calculus, he kind of skips over that saying (in paraphrase) "the differential of x^2 is 2x, read this 1000 page calculus book if you want more details". A reader without calculus could just accept this and still get a lot out of the chapter on calculus. If you take that approach to the harder mathematics, then you should be fine. There are a lot of reviews and links from the following URL that may help give you more persepective on the book. Also the reviews on amazon.com are coming in every day and it's real fun seeing the mixed opinions (one autodidact loves it, a PhD student can't understand it...)

http://www.321books.co.uk/reviews/the-road-to-reality-by-roger-penrose.htm

Keep on ploughing, go round rocky ground!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still only in high school and I recently got this book. I got up to Ch2 (yes I got the book very recently) and I can't seem to understand what he's saying. Every now and then I catch on, but I always end up getting confused, trying to understand everything he is saying. Is this suppose to happen for someone like me, or is anyone suppose to be able to plough through the book without any prior math knowledge and be able to understand every single thing he says if they're smart enough?

Right now I don't even understand what he means by euclidean geometry and hyperbolic geometry. We have never learned anything about that at school (atleast I don't think I have) and the only thing that rings a bell is the word hyperbola which, to me, only means 1/x and 1/(x^2) and that's it.

Last edited:
Gecko said:

I have to say I LOVE the book. I'm reading it now cover to cover for the second time (I'm at chapter 28 for the moment). But, but... I don't know what kind of students Penrose got over the floor, but clearly the slope is steep. As SA says, it gives a great perspective on stuff you already know. Well, I *did* learn stuff in the book. I did learn about fibre bundles that were not tangent bundles.

It has no comparing to A brief history of time. Maybe it comes a little closer to "the elegant universe", but I still think it is WAY harder. That is because Penrose doesn't just want to talk ABOUT stuff, he want to teach you the stuff, too, starting from somewhere in high school and ending as a PhD in theoretical physics. Honestly, if it were that easy, you wouldn't need 10 years for that, would you ? Just read a book and it's ok ?

Nevertheless, I think it is worth to read it, and to try to understand what you can.

Does anyone know of a good book that would guide me through the mathematics section of this book? My mathematics knowledge isn't up to par to comprehend some of the stuff Roger Penrose is talking about.

Erzeon said:
Does anyone know of a good book that would guide me through the mathematics section of this book? My mathematics knowledge isn't up to par to comprehend some of the stuff Roger Penrose is talking about.

I'd say just wait until you've learned it in a degree course and read what you can.

When I first got the book I read Chapters 17 and 18 (I think these are the Special Relativity and Classical Field Theory chapters), I understood what he was saying about Maxwell's Electromagnetism, but I didn' have a clue about what he was saying about General Relativity, since I didn't know it.

Know after learning some General Relativity from Schutz and Carroll, I think the chapter contains some very "deep" information about Classical Field theories and what they are trying to say. Particularly when he compares terms in the field equation to terms in Maxwell's equations.
(Such as the metric being the equivalent of the potential, the Christoffel symbols being the equivalent of the Field, e.t.c.)

I think it's a great book for seeing connections between things and getting a new point of view on things you already know.

Oh I see, I was under the impression that this book could be completely understood by any layman. Guess I was wrong.

Erzeon said:
Oh I see, I was under the impression that this book could be completely understood by any layman. Guess I was wrong.
It was intended that way, but I don't think it actually works.

Last edited:
Erzeon said:

That's what Penrose himself claims, but as I said, I don't know what kind of students he got over the floor during his career as a professor to have made him think that this were possible ! You'd start out as a high school student and you'd end as a PhD in theoretical physics if you'd read his book as he intended :bugeye:

Guess I'm going to have to keep this book for another 5 years before I'll understand most of it:( It'll probably be thrown out by then.

1. What is "The Road to Reality" by Penrose about?

"The Road to Reality" is a book written by renowned mathematician and physicist Roger Penrose. It is a comprehensive and in-depth exploration of the fundamental principles of mathematics, physics, and cosmology. It covers topics such as relativity, quantum mechanics, string theory, and the nature of the universe.

2. Who is Roger Penrose and why is he qualified to write this book?

Roger Penrose is a British mathematician and physicist who has made significant contributions to the fields of mathematics, physics, and cosmology. He has received numerous awards and honors for his work, including the Wolf Prize in Physics and the Order of the British Empire. He is also a Fellow of the Royal Society and has held prestigious positions at top universities such as Oxford and Cambridge.

3. Is "The Road to Reality" a difficult book to understand?

Yes, "The Road to Reality" is a challenging read and may be difficult for those without a strong background in mathematics and physics. However, Penrose does his best to explain complex concepts in a clear and accessible manner, making it a valuable resource for those looking to deepen their understanding of these subjects.

4. Can I use "The Road to Reality" as a textbook for my studies?

While "The Road to Reality" covers a wide range of topics in mathematics and physics, it is not structured as a traditional textbook and may not be suitable for use in a classroom setting. However, it can serve as a valuable supplement to other textbooks and can be a useful resource for self-study.

5. Is "The Road to Reality" still relevant today?

Yes, "The Road to Reality" is still relevant today as it covers fundamental principles and concepts that are still at the forefront of scientific research. While some of the specific theories and ideas may have evolved since the book's publication in 2004, it remains a valuable resource for understanding the underlying principles of the universe.