Cant understand the mathematical transition

In summary, the integral used in the video and the one you used are different types of integrals and cannot be interchanged.
nhrock3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUFZbGv6wdM&feature=relmfu

in here in the end
i got an arch that startes at A and end in B
he wrote this integral
[tex]
\intop_{a}^{d}\frac{{dl}}{r^{2}}
[/tex]

but point a and be are not values that i can put in
if my function depends on "r" then i need to change dl to be dr expression somehow
?

i think that the integral should go from 0 to pi
and dl should be d theta expression (instead of dr)
and dl =r*d(theta)
R is constant
i get
[tex]
\intop_{0}^{2\pi}\frac{{Rd\theta}}{R^{2}}
[/tex]
i get 2pi/R

this resolt is different from the resolt he gets

why?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is likely that the instructor was using a different form of the integral than what you used. The integral in the video is a line integral, which involves integrating along a path from point A to point B. The integral you used is a standard integral, which is used for functions of a single variable. These two types of integrals are not interchangeable. The instructor's integral could be written as: \int_{A}^{B}\frac{\mathrm{d}l}{r^2},where $\mathrm{d}l$ is the differential arc length along the curve between points A and B. This form of the integral is appropriate for calculating the arc length of a general curve, and it is not equivalent to the standard integral you wrote.

1. Why is understanding mathematical transition important?

Understanding mathematical transition is important because it allows us to comprehend complex mathematical concepts and apply them to real-world problems. It also helps us to improve our critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

2. What are some common barriers to understanding mathematical transition?

Some common barriers to understanding mathematical transition include lack of prior knowledge and understanding, language barriers, and difficulties in visualizing abstract concepts.

3. How can I improve my understanding of mathematical transition?

To improve your understanding of mathematical transition, you can practice regularly, seek help from a teacher or tutor, and try to connect the concepts to real-life situations. It may also be helpful to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable steps.

4. What are some strategies for overcoming difficulties in understanding mathematical transition?

Some strategies for overcoming difficulties in understanding mathematical transition include seeking help from a peer or teacher, using visual aids such as diagrams or graphs, and practicing regularly to improve your skills.

5. Are there any online resources or tools that can help with understanding mathematical transition?

Yes, there are many online resources and tools available to help with understanding mathematical transition. Some examples include interactive tutorials, video lessons, and practice problems with step-by-step solutions. It may also be helpful to join online communities or forums to discuss difficult concepts with others.