Wave vector of a polariton mode

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the wave vector for a polariton mode with a given frequency, taking into consideration the static and high frequency dielectric constants of InP and the TO phonon frequency. The dispersion relation for polaritons depends on the dielectric function, which can be derived theoretically and is represented by the Lyddane-Sachs-Teller relation.
skyboarder2
Hey,
I'm looking for a method for calculating the wave vector of a polariton mode with a given frequency f knowing the static and high frequency dielectric constants of InP ([tex]\epsilon[/tex]st and [tex]\epsilon[/tex][tex]\infty[/tex]) and the TO phonon frequency [tex]\upsilon[/tex]TO.
Thanks for your help!

S.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
I am also interested in polaritons, but on microcavity exciton-polaritons only. I believe you are asking about phonon-polaritons. Based on my understanding, the dispersion relation for polaritons, like any other materials, depend primarily on the dielectric function.
[tex] \frac{c^2 k^2}{\omega ^2}=\varepsilon (\omega ) [/tex]
where e(w) is the dielectric function. I really don't know if I'm helping but I think you need to know the whole dielectric function of the system, which can be derived theoretically. It would look like this,
[tex] \varepsilon (\omega )\approx \varepsilon _{0}+\frac{\Omega ^{2}}{\omega _{0}+\omega ^{2}} [/tex]

Hope this helps.

look for the lyddane-sachs-teller relation

Thanks for your help

1. What is a wave vector of a polariton mode?

The wave vector of a polariton mode is a vector quantity that describes the direction and magnitude of the wave associated with a polariton, which is a quasiparticle formed by the strong coupling of a photon and an exciton in a material.

2. How is the wave vector of a polariton mode calculated?

The wave vector of a polariton mode is calculated using the dispersion relation, which relates the energy and momentum of the polariton. This relation is specific to the material and structure in which the polariton is formed.

3. What is the significance of the wave vector of a polariton mode?

The wave vector of a polariton mode is significant because it determines the properties of the polariton, such as its energy, velocity, and polarization. It also plays a crucial role in the manipulation and control of polariton waves in photonic and optoelectronic applications.

4. Can the wave vector of a polariton mode be changed?

Yes, the wave vector of a polariton mode can be changed by altering the material or structure in which the polariton is formed. This can be achieved through techniques such as changing the angle of incidence of the excitation light or applying an external electric or magnetic field.

5. How does the wave vector of a polariton mode differ from a photon or exciton?

The wave vector of a polariton mode differs from a photon or exciton because it is a hybrid quasiparticle that has properties of both. It has a finite mass due to the excitonic component, and its wave vector is determined by the dispersion relation of the material, unlike a free photon or exciton with a fixed momentum.