Latus rectum for the non-mathematician

• Thread starter bhnh
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is an animator seeking help with a math problem involving an elliptical shape. They need to find the length of a chord perpendicular to the major axis, but are unsure of the correct algorithm. They provide equations for two ellipses and suggest using Unrest's idea, but acknowledge that there may be different egg-shaped functions that could affect the length of the chord.
bhnh
I'm hoping someone can help me with this question. I'm an animator; the last math course I took was 40 years ago:bugeye:.

I have an elliptical shape wherein the major and minor axes intersect off-center, so I've got an egg shape (major axis=165, minor axis =80, intersection at 100,40). I have a line perpendicular to the major axis which can be positioned at any point along the major axis. What I need is a basic algorithm to figure the length of the resulting chord (latus rectum?).

I wouldn't want to admit to being desperate, but I am, kind of. Any help would be immensely appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

• diagram.jpg
    diagram.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 473
Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose your shape is two ellipses joined at the minor axis. So you can write an equation for each one, with the origin at the intersection of the axes:

Left side:
x2/652 + y2/402 = 1

Right side:
x2/1002 + y2/402 = 1

The length is just 2*y. So rearrange for y:
If the line is on the left side:
length = 2 * sqrt( 402(1-x2/652) )
Where x is the distance from the intersection of the axes.

Out of sight. Thanks!:biggrin:

I understand that math can be daunting for those who haven't studied it in a while. Let me help break down the concept of latus rectum for you in a simple way.

The latus rectum is a geometric term used to describe a specific chord in an ellipse. It is defined as the line segment perpendicular to the major axis that passes through the focus (one of the two fixed points in an ellipse) and has both endpoints on the ellipse. In simpler terms, it is the longest chord that can be drawn in an ellipse.

In your case, the length of the latus rectum can be found using the formula l = 2b^2/a, where a is the length of the major axis and b is the length of the minor axis. Plugging in the values you provided (a=165, b=80), we can calculate that the length of the latus rectum in your ellipse is approximately 160.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the concept of latus rectum and how to calculate it in your specific case. If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to reach out. Best of luck with your animation project!

What is a latus rectum?

The latus rectum is a line segment parallel to the directrix of a conic section, such as a parabola, that passes through the focus of the conic section. It is also known as the focal chord.

How is the latus rectum related to the focus and directrix?

The latus rectum is perpendicular to the directrix and passes through the focus, forming a right angle. It is also equal in length to the distance between the vertex and the focus.

What is the significance of the latus rectum in conic sections?

The latus rectum helps to define the shape and position of a conic section. For example, in a parabola, the latus rectum is the line segment that intersects the parabola at its vertex and is perpendicular to the axis of symmetry. In an ellipse or hyperbola, the latus rectum is the line segment that intersects the conic section at its vertices.

How is the latus rectum used in real-life applications?

The latus rectum is often used in optics and astronomy to describe the shape of mirrors and lenses. It is also used in engineering and design to model the paths of projectiles and satellites. Additionally, the latus rectum has applications in architecture, where it is used to design arches and vaults.

Is the concept of latus rectum only applicable to conic sections?

No, the concept of latus rectum can also be applied to other shapes, such as ellipses and hyperbolas, which are not conic sections. In these cases, the latus rectum is still defined as a line segment that passes through a fixed point and is parallel to a given line, but it may have a different name depending on the shape.