Is Work Dependent on Launch Angle?

In summary, the problem involves a projectile with a mass of 0.50 kg being launched at an initial speed of 20 m/s and an angle of 37 degrees from a horizontal surface. The projectile lands a certain distance from its launch point and the question asks for the amount of work done on the projectile on landing, neglecting air resistance. The solution is -1.0 x 102 J, found by using the formula for kinetic energy and substituting the known values. The concept of energy conservation is discussed, with the conclusion that the angle of launch is not necessary to calculate the amount of work done if the height at launch and landing are the same.
DmytriE
Textbook problem:

A 0.50-kg projectile is given an initial speed of 20m/s at an angle of 37 degrees to a horizontal surface and lands a certain distance (range) from its launch point. How much work is done on the projectile on landing? (Neglect air resistance).

So the solution is -1.0 x 102 J

I found the kinetic energy using K=1/2mv2 substituting the known values in for the variables. Low and behold I got 100 J. Knowing that energy is conserved why is it that I did not have to take the angle at which the projectile was shot to find amount of work at landing?

My only explanation for it is that since energy is conserved the path by which it gets there is independent of the path taken. Is my thinking right or on the right track or am I in left field?

Physics news on Phys.org
DmytriE said:
T
My only explanation for it is that since energy is conserved the path by which it gets there is independent of the path taken. Is my thinking right or on the right track or am I in left field?
The energy it gives up is its kinetic energy. Kinetic energy is not conserved. Kinetic + potential energy is conserved. But, so long as the potential energy at launch is the same as the potential energy on landing, the kinetic energy it gives up on landing will be the same as the kinetic energy at launch. This only works if the height of launch is the same as the height of landing.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
This only works if the height of launch is the same as the height of landing.

AM

So since the landing place was at the same height as the launch the need to use the angle for calculations was unnecessary, correct?

What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position in a force field or its configuration. It is stored energy that has the potential to do work.

What are the different types of potential energy?

There are several types of potential energy, including gravitational potential energy, elastic potential energy, chemical potential energy, and nuclear potential energy.

How is potential energy related to work?

Potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy, which is the energy of motion. This conversion occurs when work is done on an object, either by an external force or by the force of gravity.

What is the formula for calculating potential energy?

The formula for calculating potential energy depends on the type of potential energy being considered. For gravitational potential energy, the formula is PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object above a reference level.

What are some real-life examples of potential energy?

A few examples of potential energy in everyday life include a stretched rubber band, a raised weight, a compressed spring, and a roller coaster at the top of a hill. All of these objects have the potential to do work when their potential energy is converted into kinetic energy.