Power Supply from USB: Get Answers to Your Questions

In summary, the conversation discusses using a USB connection to power a digital pen and the potential need for external circuitry. The USB connector pinouts and the possibility of using a computer's serial port for minimal power supply are also mentioned. The recommendation is to use a USB for powering the device.
kdkdkd
hi,

I want to power a digital pen using a USB connected to the PC. What is the exact procedure for this...as in do i require any external circuitry?
I also heard about this DTR pin which when permenantly enabled, acts as a power supply.
can anyone enlighten me about these things?
thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Perhaps something in the http://www.usb.org/developers/usbfaq/ might help answer your question

Take a look at the USB connector pinouts:

http://www.networktechinc.com/technote.html

The USB connectors have four pins. Pin 1 is +5V, pin 4 is ground; these pins provide +5V power. The USB specification allows a peripheral to draw up to 500 mA from the power pins. Pins 3 and 2 are the differential + and - signalling pins, respectively.

The DTR pin is one of the control pins on the PC's serial port, NOT the USB port. You could potentially use any of the computer's serial port pins for minimal power supply, but it's not a good idea, since they aren't designed for that purpose. There's no specification on how much current it may or may not be able to provide.

If you're designing a USB peripheral, you can use up to 500 mA of current from the USB's power pins. If you're designing a serial-port peripheral, you should really externally power the device.

- Warren

Thanks Warren and imabug.

Guess I'll go for a USB rather than a serial then.

1. How does a USB power supply work?

A USB power supply works by converting the AC power from a wall outlet into DC power, which is then supplied to the USB port. This is done through a process called rectification and filtering, which involves using diodes and capacitors to convert the alternating current into direct current.

2. What devices can be powered by a USB power supply?

Many devices can be powered by a USB power supply, including smartphones, tablets, cameras, and other small electronic devices. However, the power output of the USB port may vary, so it is important to check the device's power requirements before using a USB power supply.

3. Can a USB power supply charge multiple devices at once?

It depends on the power output of the USB power supply. Some USB ports have a higher output and can charge multiple devices at once, while others may not have enough power to charge more than one device at a time. It is important to check the power output of the USB port before attempting to charge multiple devices simultaneously.

4. Is it safe to use a USB power supply to charge my devices?

In general, using a USB power supply to charge electronic devices is safe. However, it is important to use a reputable and high-quality USB power supply to avoid any potential hazards. It is also important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and not overload the USB port with more devices than it can handle.

5. Can I use any USB cable to connect my device to a USB power supply?

No, it is not recommended to use any USB cable to connect your device to a USB power supply. It is important to use a cable that is specifically designed for charging and is compatible with your device. Using a low-quality or incompatible cable can result in slower charging times or potential damage to your device.