How would I explain what scenarios the squeeze theorem should be used in?

In summary, the squeeze theorem, also known as the sandwich theorem or the pinching theorem, should be used when evaluating limits of functions that are "squeezed" between two other functions. It can be used to prove the limit of a function that is otherwise difficult to evaluate directly, by finding two simpler functions that it is sandwiched between that have the same limit. The squeeze theorem is particularly useful when dealing with trigonometric functions, rational functions, and exponential functions. It is a powerful tool in calculus for proving the existence or non-existence of limits and determining convergence or divergence of sequences and series.
MurdocJensen
This is what I want to say:

The squeeze theorem may be used when direct substitution and factoring (or simplification of any sort) doesn't help in finding a limit.

An example would be lim x->0 of x2sin(pi/x). Limit laws wouldn't work and we can't simplify the expression. What we can do is recognize -1<= sin(pi/x)<= 1, so -(x2) <= x2sin(pi/x) <= x2. According to the squeeze theorem, if the function in question is bounded by two other function at x near a, and the lmits of these bounding functions equal each other at some a, then the limit of the bounded function also takes that value at a.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. How does the squeeze theorem work?

The squeeze theorem, also known as the sandwich theorem, states that if two functions, g(x) and h(x), are both squeezed between a third function f(x), as x approaches a certain value, then the limit of g(x) and h(x) must also approach that same value.

2. When should I use the squeeze theorem?

The squeeze theorem should be used when you need to find the limit of a function that is difficult to evaluate directly, but can be squeezed between two other functions whose limits are known.

3. What are some common scenarios where the squeeze theorem is useful?

The squeeze theorem is commonly used in situations where you have a complex function with a variable approaching a specific value, and you need to find the limit of that function. It is also used in proving limit theorems and in calculus problems involving infinite series.

4. Can the squeeze theorem be used to solve any type of limit problem?

No, the squeeze theorem can only be used for functions that can be "squeezed" between two other functions. It cannot be used for functions that are unbounded or have a discontinuity at the point of interest.

5. How do I apply the squeeze theorem in practice?

To apply the squeeze theorem, you need to identify two functions that "squeeze" the original function, meaning that they are always greater than or equal to it, and always less than or equal to it. Then, as x approaches a certain value, you can evaluate the limits of the two squeezing functions to determine the limit of the original function.