How Does Replacing NMOS with PMOS Affect the VTC Curve of a CMOS Inverter?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to draw a VTC curve for a CMOS inverter with a replaced PMOS, and how to determine if the PMOS is in saturation or cutoff. The conversation also touches on using KCL to solve for Vout and provides a mathematical solution for the same.
cimera7
Heres an interview question which I am having trouble with:

Consider a CMOS inverter. Replace the NMOS in it with a PMOS. How would the VTC curve look like?

I was told that one PMOS would always be in saturation.

Since the source voltage of the lower PMOS is tied to Vout, how can we figure out if the lower PMOS is cutoff or not.

Help.

Physics news on Phys.org
So Vs of the new PMOS is Vout and the gates are still wired together, right?

To draw a VTC you'll need to make some assumptions about the transistors (for example, matched or not matched). Can you think of any others?

Start drawing the VTC by just picking one point, say Vg=0V. What is Vout for this point? Then work you way up to VDD.

The follow up question is pretty easy once you have the VTC. Once you have the VTC you can also evaluate the statement, one PMOS is always in saturation (note: saturation means vgs>vt & vds>vgs-vt).

Yes the Vs of the new PMOS is Vout, and gates are wired together.

My question was, even if i start with Vg=Vin= 0 and work my way up=> how do you figure out the Vgs of the lower PMOS? since the source of the lower PMOS is set to Vout. How can we figure out if Vgs(lower pmos) is > or < Vt? aka if its cutoff ?

for the lower pmos, the condition Vsd < Vgs - Vt(p-lower) is always met, however I cannot figure out if Vgs < Vt is met.

sorry I am very new to cmos.

Finding Vout exactly when Vg=0 is tricky. To do it requires knowledge of the transistors Vt. I'll do this point on the VTC curve for you with the assumption that the transistors are perfectly matched and assume that Vdd>Vt. You should be able to do the other points in the same way.

Since the top transistor has Vs=Vdd and Vg=0V, Vsg=Vdd>Vt, it is on. Because it is on current can pass from its source to drain.

If the bottom transistor were off then it would allow no current from source to drain. Current would flow through the upper until Vs=Vd on it. But this would make the lower's Vsg=Vdd>Vt, which would make it on as well. This is a contradiction so the initial assumption was wrong and both the lower and upper are on.

On the lower, Vg=Vd=0V, Vs=Vout and Vt>0. Thus Vsd=Vsg and Vsd < Vgs - Vt is not met. The lower is therefore on & linear.

For the upper Vs=Vdd, Vg=0V, Vd=Vout. So Vsg=Vdd and Vsd=Vdd-Vout. Since Vout>Vt (see the argument above) the upper is on & saturated.

Now its just KCL at Vout. Isd(upper)=Isd(lower).

Using mathematica:
Simplify[Solve[ K ((vdd - vt) (vdd - vout) - (vdd - vout)^2/2)==K/2 (vout - vt)^2 ,vout]]

Which yields:
[tex]\left\{\left\{\text{vout}\to -\frac{\sqrt{(\text{vdd}-\text{vt})^2}}{\sqrt{2}}+\text{vt}\right\},\left\{\text{vout}\to \frac{\sqrt{(\text{vdd}-\text{vt})^2}}{\sqrt{2}}+\text{vt}\right\}\right\}[/tex]

And if I use vdd=3.3 and vt=1.7 (from the BSS84) I get vout=2.83V which matches pretty closely to the spice value of 2.86V.

Last edited:

The VTC curve for a CMOS inverter with a PMOS replacing the NMOS would have a different shape compared to the original curve. The PMOS will be in saturation when the input voltage is low, and the NMOS will be in saturation when the input voltage is high. This will result in a steeper slope in the VTC curve compared to the original, where both transistors were in saturation at the same time.

To determine if the lower PMOS is cutoff or not, we can use the MOSFET equations and consider the voltage at the drain and gate of the transistor. If the voltage at the drain is lower than the voltage at the gate, the PMOS will be in cutoff. If the voltage at the drain is higher than the voltage at the gate, the PMOS will be in saturation. This can also be confirmed by looking at the current flow through the transistor – if there is no current, the PMOS is in cutoff, and if there is current, the PMOS is in saturation.

I hope this helps with your understanding of the CMOS inverter with a PMOS replacing the NMOS. It is important to consider the characteristics of both transistors in this type of circuit to accurately analyze and predict its behavior.

1. What is a CMOS inverter?

A CMOS inverter is a type of logic gate that is used in digital electronics to convert a binary input signal into a complementary output. It consists of a PMOS (p-type metal-oxide-semiconductor) and an NMOS (n-type metal-oxide-semiconductor) transistor connected in series, with the output taken from the common connection of the two transistors.

2. How does a CMOS inverter work?

When a voltage is applied to the input of a CMOS inverter, one of the transistors will be turned on while the other is turned off. This creates a path for current to flow from the power supply through the turned on transistor and to the output, resulting in a logical high output. When the input voltage is low, the transistors will switch roles and the output will be pulled to a logical low. This switching behavior makes CMOS inverters ideal for use in digital circuits.

3. What are the advantages of using CMOS inverters?

CMOS inverters have several advantages over other types of logic gates, including low power consumption, high noise immunity, and a wide operating voltage range. They also have a small physical footprint, making them well-suited for use in integrated circuits and other small electronic devices. Additionally, CMOS technology allows for the production of large numbers of inverters on a single chip, making them cost-effective for mass production.

4. What are some common applications of CMOS inverters?

CMOS inverters are commonly used in digital logic circuits, such as microprocessors, memory chips, and other integrated circuits. They are also used in various other electronic devices, such as computers, smartphones, and televisions. Additionally, CMOS inverters are often used in power management and signal processing circuits, as well as in sensor and control systems.

5. How do CMOS inverters differ from other types of inverters?

CMOS inverters differ from other types of inverters, such as TTL (transistor-transistor logic) inverters, in their construction and operation. While TTL inverters use bipolar transistors, CMOS inverters use metal-oxide-semiconductor transistors, which have different electrical properties. This results in differences in power consumption, speed, and noise immunity between the two types of inverters. CMOS inverters also have a wider operating voltage range and can operate at lower voltages than TTL inverters.