Solving Exponents: X^3 + X^5=0

• Thread starter nightanole
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exponents
In summary, the conversation is about struggling with solving equations involving exponents, such as x^3 + x^5 = 0 or x^3 + x^4 = 0. The person mentions breaking the equations down into smaller parts and solving for x, and also shares a rule for solving equations where the product is equal to 0. They also mention a past experience with struggling to solve a similar problem.
nightanole
Well it appears that as i get higher in math, i lose the stuff i learned awhile ago. This type has me stumped for some reason.

x^3 + X^5=0 Or another one X^3 + x^4=0

I can break them down to X^3(1+X^2)=0 or X^3(X +1)=0

I just can seem to solve these simple guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure where you're having problems.

x3+x5=0
x3(1 + x2)=0
x3=0 or 1 + x2=0
x=0 (Assuming you only want real solutions)

Hmm found something but can't explain the rule (help explaining please)

Got it to X^3(1+X)=0

for some reason you break it down to 2 solutions
x^3=0 and 1+x=0

since the first one doesn't work, the second one is the answer, which i can solve. X=-1

nightanole said:
Hmm found something but can't explain the rule (help explaining please)

Got it to X^3(1+X)=0

for some reason you break it down to 2 solutions
x^3=0 and 1+x=0

since the first one doesn't work, the second one is the answer, which i can solve. X=-1
The first one solves for x=0

If a*b=0 then it is obvious that either a=0, b=0 or a and b=0. So you need to look at both a being 0 or b being 0. This is why in general in maths we like things to equal 0 so we can solve them. For example a*b=1 doesn't tell us anything about a or b.

Thanks guys, due to a brain fart this problem took me like 30min because i didnt factor, then i couldn't remember the zero thing till about 10min ago. I thought I am gona be a garbage man after this simple brain freeze. Last brain freeze was adding two digit number:)

What is an exponent?

An exponent is a number that indicates the number of times a base number is multiplied by itself. It is written as a superscript to the right of the base number.

What does X^3 + X^5=0 mean?

This equation means that X is raised to the third power (X^3) and added to X raised to the fifth power (X^5), resulting in a sum of zero.

How do I solve an equation with exponents?

To solve an equation with exponents, you can use the rule that states when the same base is raised to two different exponents, you can add the exponents together. In this case, you can rewrite the equation as X^3 + X^5 = X^8 = 0 and solve for X.

What is the solution to X^3 + X^5=0?

The solution to this equation is X=0. This is because any number raised to the zero power is equal to 1, so X^8 must equal 1 in order for the equation to be true. The only number that satisfies this is 0.

Are there any other solutions to X^3 + X^5=0?

No, there are no other solutions to this equation. X=0 is the only value of X that makes the equation true.