Determine the acute angle between two intersecting lines

So, in summary, the cosine of the acute angle made by the strings as they cross is approximately equal to 0.749.
justinvh

Homework Statement

A basketball gymnasium is 37 meters high, 80 meters wide and 200 meters long. For a half time stunt, the cheerleaders want to run two strings, one from each of the two corners above one basket to the diagonally opposite corners of the gym floor. What is the cosine of the acute angle made by the strings as they cross? Round your answer to 3 decimal places.

Homework Equations

I believe that you just have to equate:
[itex]\left\|\vec{v}\right\| \left\|\vec{w}\right\|\cos{\theta} = \vec{v} \cdot \vec{w}[/itex]

I thought that the sign of the dot product determines whether an angle is obtuse or acute.

The Attempt at a Solution

Vectors:
[itex]\vec{v} = \left\{200\hat{i}, 80\hat{j}, -37\hat{k}\right\}[/itex]
[itex]\vec{w} = \left\{200\hat{i}, -80\hat{j}, -37\hat{k}\right\}[/itex]

Magnitudes:
[itex]\left\|\vec{v}\right\| = \sqrt{200^2 + 80^2 + (-37)^2} = \sqrt{47769}[/itex]
[itex]\left\|\vec{w}\right\| = \sqrt{200^2 + (-80)^2 + (-37)^2} = \sqrt{47769}[/itex]
[itex]\left\|\vec{v}\right\| \left|\vec{w}\right\| = 47769[/itex]

Dot Product:
[itex]\vec{v} \cdot \vec{w} = 200*200 + (-80)*80 + (-37)*(-37) = 34969[/itex]

Equating the sides:
[itex]\cos{\theta} = \displaystyle\frac{\vec{v} \cdot \vec{w}}{\left\|\vec{v}\right\| \left\|\vec{w}\right\|}[/itex]

[itex]\cos{\theta} = \displaystyle\frac{34969}{47769}[/itex]

After solving for theta by taking the arccos, I have 0.749. With that all said and done, it is not the correct answer. I am not entirely sure where I went wrong. I checked my math and it seems to point to being the correct answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi justinvh! welcome to pf! :smile:

(have a theta: θ :wink:)
justinvh said:
… What is the cosine of the acute angle made by the strings as they cross? Round your answer to 3 decimal places.

After solving for theta by taking the arccos, I have 0.749.

erm :redface:

you're asked for cosθ, not θ :wink:

tiny-tim said:
you're asked for cosθ, not θ :wink:

Oh my dear lord. I can't believe I missed that. I've been driving myself crazy for the last day and a half. Thank you for pointing that out.

1. What does it mean to determine the acute angle between two intersecting lines?

Determining the acute angle between two intersecting lines means finding the smallest angle formed by the two lines at their point of intersection, where the angle measures less than 90 degrees.

2. How do you find the acute angle between two intersecting lines?

To find the acute angle between two intersecting lines, you can use the formula θ = tan-1(m1 - m2 / 1 + m1m2), where m1 and m2 are the slopes of the two lines.

3. Can the acute angle between two intersecting lines be negative?

No, the acute angle between two intersecting lines cannot be negative. The angle is always measured as a positive value less than 90 degrees.

4. What is the difference between an acute angle and an obtuse angle?

An acute angle is an angle that measures less than 90 degrees, while an obtuse angle measures between 90 and 180 degrees. Acute angles are smaller than right angles, while obtuse angles are larger.

5. Why is it important to determine the acute angle between two intersecting lines?

Knowing the acute angle between two intersecting lines can help in various geometrical and engineering applications. It can help determine the direction and orientation of lines, calculate distances and angles in 2D and 3D shapes, and aid in solving problems involving angles and trigonometric functions.