Partial derivative of a function at (0,0)

In summary, the conversation discusses the partial derivatives of a function, specifically at the point (0,0). The example given has fx(0,0) and fy(0,0) both equal to 0, but when using the function f(x,y)=xy/(x^2+y^2), the partial derivatives are undefined at (0,0). The conversation then goes on to discuss the definition of partial derivatives and the use of a textbook. It is mentioned that it is not assumed that the function is defined at the origin in the first place.
davidp92

Homework Statement

tu6DA.jpg

So the example says fx(0,0)=0 and fy(0,0)=0 (the partial derivatives).
When I try it I'm getting functions that are not defined at (0,0):
f(x,y)=xy/(x[itex]^{}[/itex]+y[itex]^{}[/itex])
so for example,
fx=[x(x^2+y^2)-2y(xy)]/(x^2+y^2)^2
fx=(x^3+xy^2-2xy^2)/(x^2+y^2)^2
fx=x^3-xy^2/(x^2+y^2)^2

Which I keep getting fx(0,0) being undefined. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your getting this because the expression for f that you use, is undefined in 0. That is, when you calculate the partial derivatives, then it's ok to derive the form [itex]f(x,y)=\frac{xy}{x^2+y^2}[/itex] for every point except (0,0). But this will not help us in (0,0).

To find the partial derivatives in (0,0), you'll going to have to use the definition, I'm afraid. What is the definition of the partial derivative?? Can you calculate the limit involved?

I recognize that typesetting anywhere. It's mr.stweart's hideous textbook. I am exploring more of this topic, but vela said that you don't even assume it is defined at the origin in the first place

1. What is a partial derivative of a function?

A partial derivative of a function is a mathematical concept that measures the rate of change of the function with respect to one of its variables while holding all other variables constant.

2. How is the partial derivative of a function at a point (0,0) calculated?

The partial derivative of a function at a point (0,0) is calculated by taking the derivative of the function with respect to each variable and then evaluating the resulting expression at the point (0,0).

3. Why is the partial derivative of a function at (0,0) important?

The partial derivative of a function at (0,0) is important because it can provide information about the behavior of the function at that specific point. It can also help in determining critical points and finding the direction of maximum change at that point.

4. What does the partial derivative of a function at (0,0) tell us about the function?

The partial derivative of a function at (0,0) can tell us about the slope of the function in the x and y directions at that point. It can also give us information about the overall rate of change of the function at that specific point.

5. Can the partial derivative of a function at (0,0) be negative?

Yes, the partial derivative of a function at (0,0) can be negative. This indicates that the function is decreasing in that direction at the point (0,0). However, it is important to note that the sign of the partial derivative does not determine the overall behavior of the function at that point.