Can opamp work this way ?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether an opamp can be used to square input signals. While opamps are commonly used for differentiating, integrating, and summing amplification, they are not typically used for squaring. Instead, a four quadrant multiplier or an analog solution using diodes or FETs may be used. The use of diodes for squaring and square rooting is also discussed, with a circuit reference provided. The possibility of using an ADC, microcontroller, and DAC instead of an opamp is also mentioned.
XuFyaN
can opamp work this way ??

can opamp work this way ..?

when i input 2volts the output is 4volts , when i input 5 volts the output is 25 volts

in simple words can opamp takes the square of input signals ??

is it possible ? i know how it work as differentiator, integrator, Summing amp but what about squaring ?

Engineering news on Phys.org

To obtain squares and square roots you need a four quadrant multiplier, such as the MC 1494.

There is an analog solution using the square law characteritic of diodes or FETs but they are tricky to set up.

can you please help about using diodes for squaring and square rooting ? what technique we use for squaring ?

like if we Apply n volts the output must b n*n
or simply sum of n times ,
like if we apply 5 volts the output must be 5+5+5+5+5

Review the circuit in

http://www.analog.com/library/analogDialogue/bestof/pdf/19_1.pdf

The transistors are working in essentially the transdiode configuration, because they give superior diode lograrithmic performance than real diodes. Look at the equations Eq (1) thru (6). The (kT/q) log function is the ideal diode I-V response.

Bob S

XuFyaN said:
can opamp work this way ..?

when i input 2volts the output is 4volts , when i input 5 volts the output is 25 volts

in simple words can opamp takes the square of input signals ??

is it possible ? i know how it work as differentiator, integrator, Summing amp but what about squaring ?

Are you constrained to using opamps? Can you use an ADC + Microcontroller + DAC instead?

1. Can an opamp be used as a voltage follower?

Yes, an opamp can be used as a voltage follower by connecting the output to the inverting input and the input signal to the non-inverting input. This allows the output to mimic the input voltage, providing a unity gain buffer.

2. Can an opamp be used as a comparator?

Yes, an opamp can be used as a comparator by connecting the non-inverting input to a reference voltage and the inverting input to the signal being compared. The output will then switch between a high and low state depending on the relationship between the input voltage and the reference voltage.

3. Can an opamp be used in a single supply circuit?

Yes, an opamp can be used in a single supply circuit by connecting the positive supply voltage to the Vcc pin and the negative supply voltage to ground. However, the input and output signals should be biased to the mid-supply voltage in order to achieve proper operation.

4. Can an opamp be used in a negative feedback configuration?

Yes, an opamp can be used in a negative feedback configuration, where a portion of the output signal is fed back to the inverting input. This allows for precise control of the gain and other characteristics of the opamp circuit.

5. Can an opamp be used in a high frequency application?

Yes, opamps are commonly used in high frequency applications, but the choice of opamp should be carefully considered as some may have limited bandwidth or other characteristics that may affect performance at higher frequencies. Additionally, proper circuit design and layout techniques should be implemented to minimize parasitic effects and ensure stable operation at high frequencies.