Question: How can logic gates be used to create a 1 bit computer?

In summary, there was a discussion about creating a one-bit computer using logic gates. The HP 9830 was mentioned as an example, but it was pointed out that it actually has a 16-bit processor. The conversation then shifted to discussing bit manipulation and how it can be used to process 8-bit bytes one bit at a time. The concept of a 1-bit universal Turing machine was also brought up.
sjaguar13
Anyone know of a site that explains a 1 bit computer made from logic gates, or at least what all is needed for a one bit computer (all I know is an ALU)?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I have a one-bit computer. It is HP 9830. I got it back in 1975 and it came with basic built in. You could check with HP for their circuit. The whole thing is made with discrete ICs and the standard memory cards were 4K.

Dumb Question. How would that constitute a 1 bit computer?
I don't know the internals of the 9830, but the things I do know about, from the early 70's, used either 4 or 8 bits.

Dumb Question. How would that constitute a 1 bit computer?
I don't know the internals of the 9830, but the things I do know about, from the early 70's, used either 4 or 8 bits.

You don’t want to make statements like that. It tells everyone more about you than you want them to know. Find out about bit manipulation. You will be surprised what you are able to do.

4Newton said:
You don’t want to make statements like that. It tells everyone more about you than you want them to know. Find out about bit manipulation. You will be surprised what you are able to do.
I'm not sure what your point is here.
One thing for certain you did not answer my question.

Considering that I designed hardware, I suspect that my knowledge of bit manipulation is probably quite suficient.

You can start by telling me what you think a bit is.

NateTG said:
There are 1-bit (i.e. two color) universal Turing machines:
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/TuringMachine.html

Unfortunately, I don't have any idea what they look like.

Thanks, quite different from my idea of what was being asked.
I was thinking "one rule" in terms that your link uses.

I'm not sure what your point is here.
One thing for certain you did not answer my question.

Considering that I designed hardware, I suspect that my knowledge of bit manipulation is probably quite suficient.

You can start by telling me what you think a bit is.
The 9830 has a processor that does 16 bits in its total process but does one bit manipulation at a time. It is therefore a one-bit processor. Since you design hardware you should understand single bit manipulation and how you can process 8 bit bytes one bit at a time. An 8 bit processor today processes all 8 bits at the same time.

1. What are logic gates and what is their role in a 1 bit computer?

Logic gates are electronic circuits that perform basic logic functions, such as AND, OR, and NOT. They are the building blocks of a 1 bit computer, as they process binary inputs and produce binary outputs.

2. How does a 1 bit computer use logic gates to perform calculations?

A 1 bit computer uses a combination of logic gates to perform calculations. For example, an addition can be performed using an XOR gate for the sum and an AND gate for the carry. The inputs and outputs of these gates are then fed into other gates to continue the calculation.

3. What is the difference between a 1 bit computer and a traditional computer?

A 1 bit computer is a simplified version of a traditional computer that only processes one bit of information at a time. This means it can only perform basic calculations and is not capable of multitasking like a traditional computer.

4. Can a 1 bit computer be used for practical applications?

While a 1 bit computer may not have the capabilities of a traditional computer, it can still be used for practical applications such as controlling simple devices or performing basic calculations. It is often used for teaching purposes to demonstrate the fundamentals of computer architecture.

5. How do logic gates contribute to the overall functionality of a 1 bit computer?

Without logic gates, a 1 bit computer would not be able to perform any calculations or process any information. Logic gates allow for the manipulation of binary inputs and outputs, which are essential for the functioning of a 1 bit computer.