Exploring Therapeutic Drugs: Investigating ASA Questions

• Thread starter decamij
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drugs
In summary: I suggest going to a chem lab and doing some research on titrating bases. I will be happy to help you further if needed.In summary, salicylic acid can be synthesized with simple chemicals, it can be titrated, and is a water soluble chemical. ASA is deacetylated in the bowels, which makes it more potent. TBAH is a difficult to find substance, but is very soluble in organic solvents, and has a hydroxide group.
decamij
For a project (grade 12), i have to do some research on therapeutic drugs, namely ASA.
I do have some questions that i find difficult to search online for.

1. What types of methods are involved in creating different types of therapeutic drugs? (i know its broad, but can i please have at least some info?)

2. How can i synthesize ASA with chemicals that i can easliy access?

3. If i want to titrate ASA, does that mean it is a liquid? If its a solid, what would i dissolve it into if i DO want to titrate it?

4. What some other prominent organic acids, and what makes ASA so "special" compared to those other acids.

I know this is a long post, so if you can't really post it on this site, my email is jdecamillis87@yahoo.com. Please send me some info. I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
About acetylsalicylic acid (ASA)

decamij said:
For a project (grade 12), i have to do some research on therapeutic drugs, namely ASA.
I do have some questions that i find difficult to search online for.

1. What types of methods are involved in creating different types of therapeutic drugs? (i know its broad, but can i please have at least some info?)
I will not answer this, since it is a huge concept and I don't know much about it. Sorry.
2. How can i synthesize ASA with chemicals that i can easliy access?
Well, this is kinda simple, salicylic acid is commercially available, and acetyl chloride, and pyridine (or triethylamine, etc.) are so. You'll just acetylate the hydroxide in salicylic acid. You can find a procedure if you google with this term, "aspirin synthesis".

3. If i want to titrate ASA, does that mean it is a liquid? If its a solid, what would i dissolve it into if i DO want to titrate it?
No, it is in solution. Acetylsalicylic acid is a water-soluble chemical; just dissolve it in hot water and do the titration after you cool it to ambient temperature. If crystals occur, add some more water and boil, and repeat this procedure.

4. What some other prominent organic acids, and what makes ASA so "special" compared to those other acids.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. ASA is a special one, since it is deacetylated to salicylic acid in bowels, which is the real effective chemical.

Last edited:
Thanx a bunch!

But one more thing. What is the best base to use (that is accessible) if i want to titrate ASA and why? Thanx for the help!

Don't try to find the solution far away; sodium or potassium hydroxide seem okay to me. If you have to do the titration in a non-aqueous medium, then tetrabutylammonium hydroxide is a superb base.

The why part is simple, I will let you find this by yourself.

what makes tetrabutylammonium hydroxide such a good titrating base, and is this a readily available substance for a 12th grader?

well, TBAH is not a very available substance, especially such places you are mentioning. However, its strong nature is caused by its great solubility in organic solvents by means of attached four butyl groups (they are hydrophobic groups, so they help the substance be soluble in a bunch of organic solvents). And since it has a hydroxide group on it, it is a good base.

1. What is the purpose of investigating ASA questions in the search for therapeutic drugs?

The purpose of investigating ASA (Active Site Analysis) questions is to understand the structure and function of enzymes and proteins that are involved in disease processes. This information can then be used to design therapeutic drugs that target these specific enzymes or proteins, ultimately leading to the development of new treatments for diseases.

2. How is ASA used in the drug discovery process?

ASA is used in the drug discovery process as a way to analyze and understand the active sites of enzymes and proteins that play a role in disease. By studying the structure, function, and interactions of these active sites, scientists can design drugs that specifically target and inhibit these disease-causing molecules.

3. What techniques are used in investigating ASA questions?

There are several techniques used in investigating ASA questions, including X-ray crystallography, nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy, and computer modeling. X-ray crystallography and NMR spectroscopy are used to determine the three-dimensional structure of enzymes and proteins, while computer modeling is used to predict and analyze the interactions between these molecules and potential drug compounds.

4. What are the benefits of using ASA in drug development?

The use of ASA in drug development allows for the design of more targeted and effective drugs. By specifically targeting the active sites of enzymes and proteins involved in disease, these drugs can have a higher success rate and fewer side effects compared to traditional treatments. Additionally, understanding ASA can lead to the development of new drug classes and treatments for diseases that were previously difficult to treat.

5. Are there any limitations to investigating ASA questions?

One limitation of investigating ASA questions is that it can be a time-consuming and complex process. It requires a deep understanding of biochemistry, structural biology, and computational techniques. Additionally, the results of these investigations may not always translate to successful drug compounds and further research and testing is often necessary. Finally, ASA may not be applicable to all diseases, as some may be caused by factors other than enzyme or protein dysfunction.