Partial derivative of a multivariable integral?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the partial derivatives of the integral function f(x,y) = ∫ (from 1 to xy) of e^(t^2)dt. The attempt at a solution uses Leibniz's formula, but the final answer is different and there is confusion about using the formula correctly.
Beamsbox

Homework Statement

Stumped.

Integral: f(x,y) = ∫ (from 1 to xy) of e^(t^2)dt
find both fx and fy

The Attempt at a Solution

I've come up with:
fx(x,y)
= /∂x ∫ (from 1 to xy) of e^(t^2)dt

Not sure where to go... possibly take the integral, the take the partial derivative? I found a solution that moves the derivative into the integral. It just looks like magic to me... not sure what they did. Could someone please break it down for me?

attachment.php?attachmentid=40270&d=1319385838.jpg

Attachments

• calculus integral.jpg
    calculus integral.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 1,368
Physics news on Phys.org
Leibniz's formula:
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\int_{a(x)}^{b(x)} f(x,t)dt= \frac{db}{dx}f(x,b(x))- \frac{da}{dx}f(x,a(x))+ \int_{a(x)}^{b(x)}\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}dt[/tex]
For each partial derivative, treat the other variable as a constant of course.
Here, a(x)= 1, b(x)= xy, and [itex]f(x,y)= e^{t^2}[/itex] which does not depend on x or y so that last integral will be 0.

([itex]e^{t^2}[/itex] does not have an elementary integral so that is NOT the way to go!)

I remember from a problem I did a while back that the integral of e^{t^2} is not the way to go.

Here's my attempt at using the Liebnitz formula, but my answer is quite different, so perhaps I'm not using it correctly...

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\int_{1}^{xy} e^{t^2}dt= \frac{d(xy)}{dx}f(x,xy) - \frac{d(1)}{dx}f(x,1)+ 0[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\int_{1}^{xy} e^{t^2}dt= \frac{d(xy)}{dx}e^{(xy)^2} - \frac{d(1)}{dx}e^{1^2}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\int_{1}^{xy} e^{t^2}dt= 2xye^{(xy)^2} - 2(1)e[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\int_{1}^{xy} e^{t^2}dt= 2xye^{x^2y^2} - 2e[/tex]

I think my error might be in where I use say f(x,b(x)→f(x,xy)... I'm not sure how to do this. I just substituted xy for t, but that path doesn't seem to utilize the x component, just the t=xy component of the function. Not even sure if that makes sense.

1. What is the definition of a partial derivative of a multivariable integral?

The partial derivative of a multivariable integral is the derivative of a function with respect to one of its variables while treating all other variables as constants. It measures the rate of change of the integral with respect to the chosen variable.

2. How do you compute a partial derivative of a multivariable integral?

To compute a partial derivative of a multivariable integral, one can use the fundamental theorem of calculus and the chain rule. The integral is first evaluated as a function of the chosen variable, and then the partial derivative is taken with respect to that variable.

3. What is the purpose of taking a partial derivative of a multivariable integral?

The purpose of taking a partial derivative of a multivariable integral is to understand how the integral changes when one of its variables is varied. This is useful in many scientific and mathematical applications, such as optimization problems and determining rates of change.

4. Can a partial derivative of a multivariable integral be negative?

Yes, a partial derivative of a multivariable integral can be negative. This indicates that the integral is decreasing as the chosen variable increases. However, it is important to consider the context of the problem to determine if a negative partial derivative makes sense.

5. How does the number of variables in the integral affect the computation of a partial derivative?

The number of variables in the integral does not affect the computation of a partial derivative. The process of taking a partial derivative remains the same regardless of the number of variables. However, the complexity of the integral may increase with more variables, making the computation more challenging.