Doppler Effect Source Moving Away

In summary, to make Superman's blue light of wavelength 480nm appear orange with a wavelength of 600nm, he must fly away from the observer at a speed of 57.0-67.0 million m/s. This can be calculated using the equation f'=\frac{f}{\left(1+\frac{v_s}{v}\right)}, where f is the frequency of the original light, v_s is the speed of Superman, and v is the speed of light. The usual doppler effect equation, f=\frac{c}{\lambda}, did not work in this situation and the equation \lambda =\lambda_{0}\sqrt{{1-\beta}\over{1+\beta}} was needed to
JSGandora

Homework Statement

Superman has a blue light of wavelength 480nm. How fast must he fly away from you so that his light appears orange, with a wavelength of 600nm?

Homework Equations

[itex]f'=\frac{f}{\left(1+\frac{v_s}{v}\right)}[/itex]
and
[itex]f=\frac{c}{\lambda}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the equation [itex]f'=\frac{f}{\left(1+\frac{v_s}{v}\right)}[/itex] and solved for [itex]v_s[/itex] and got my answer to be [itex]75\times 10^8[/itex] m/s but the answer key said [itex]57.0\times10^6 - 67\times10^6[/itex]m/s. What did I do wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Someone told me that the equation [itex] \lambda =\lambda_{0}\sqrt{{1-\beta}\over{1+\beta}} [/itex] give the correct answer (like the other thread). Why didn't the usual doppler effect equation work here? I'm confused.

What is the Doppler Effect?

The Doppler Effect is a phenomenon that describes the change in frequency or wavelength of a wave when the source of the wave is in motion relative to the observer. This means that if the source is moving towards the observer, the frequency of the wave will appear to be higher, and if the source is moving away from the observer, the frequency will appear to be lower.

How does the Doppler Effect apply to sound waves?

The Doppler Effect applies to sound waves in the same way as it does to any other type of wave. When the source of a sound is moving towards you, the sound waves are compressed, resulting in a higher frequency. Conversely, when the source is moving away from you, the sound waves are stretched, resulting in a lower frequency.

What is a Doppler radar?

A Doppler radar is a type of radar that uses the Doppler Effect to measure the velocity of objects. It sends out radio waves that bounce off of objects and then measures the frequency shift of the reflected waves. This can be used to determine the speed and direction of the objects, such as weather patterns or moving vehicles.

How is the Doppler Effect used in astronomy?

The Doppler Effect is used in astronomy to measure the velocity and distance of celestial objects. By analyzing the redshift or blueshift of light emitted from these objects, astronomers can determine whether they are moving towards or away from Earth, as well as their velocity. This has been crucial in understanding the expansion of the universe and the movements of galaxies.

What are some practical applications of the Doppler Effect?

Aside from its use in radar and astronomy, the Doppler Effect has many practical applications in everyday life. It is used in speed guns to measure the speed of moving vehicles, in ultrasound technology for medical imaging, and in musical instruments such as the siren to create a change in pitch.