How can I build a hand crank generator to power a universal powermat?

In summary, the goal is to create a generator that can power a universal powermat. There are many different parts and steps necessary for this, and the final product will be dependent on the individual's skills and equipment.
jhendren
Alright, so I am building a hand crank generator, and my goal is to replicate the K-tor pocket socket. http://www.k-tor.com/

The goal is to power a universal powermat with the generator.

I need to produce 10watts at 120volts, and my group is completely lost. If anyone could provide detailed instructions it would be very welcomed.

Engineering news on Phys.org
jhendren said:
Alright, so I am building a hand crank generator, and my goal is to replicate the K-tor pocket socket. http://www.k-tor.com/

The goal is to power a universal powermat with the generator.

I need to produce 10watts at 120volts, and my group is completely lost. If anyone could provide detailed instructions it would be very welcomed.

It's a good thing that you have a few PF posts under your belt -- this thread almost got deleted as spam! :tongue2:

Since this is a school project, you need to do the bulk of the work on it. What can you tell us about generator assemblies in this power range? How will you regulate the AC output? Do you think it would be best to use an AC or DC generator?

Here's the thing, I posted this because we have no idea. I know it needs to have an AC converter if I use a DC motor, and we thought we should feed the energy to a capacitor, but we don't have enough hands on experience to know how to wire or produce the power. Also, we don't know if it's necessary to use a 120volt DC motor

This is not a simple project, so here is something that worked. This project used an electric motor to drive a motor as a generator.
The motor was a Bodine model 5240. You will need this information to determine the speed to drive the motor/generator.
The motor/generator was a Bodine motor type 3302.
The maximum output was 17.3 watt 3 phase. You will only be using single phase so the maximum output will probably be only about 10 watt.
A transformer was used to convert from the motor/generator output to 120 volt.

Sounds like a fun project.
Good Luck
Carl

What is a hand crank generator and how does it work?

A hand crank generator, also known as a human-powered generator, is a device that converts mechanical energy from the user's hand crank motion into electrical energy. This electrical energy can be used to power small devices or charge batteries.

What are the advantages of using a hand crank generator?

One of the main advantages of a hand crank generator is that it does not require any external power source, making it a reliable source of electricity in remote areas or during power outages. It is also environmentally friendly and does not produce any harmful emissions.

What are some common applications of hand crank generators?

Hand crank generators are commonly used for emergency and survival situations, as well as in outdoor activities such as camping or hiking. They can also be used to power small electronic devices, such as radios or cell phones.

How efficient is a hand crank generator?

The efficiency of a hand crank generator can vary depending on the specific model and the amount of force applied by the user. On average, a hand crank generator can produce 5-10 watts of power, which is enough to charge small devices or power LED lights.

Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a hand crank generator?

It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and guidelines when using a hand crank generator to ensure safe and proper use. Users should also be aware of their own physical limitations and not overexert themselves when cranking the generator.