Comparing "The" vs. "A" Rotation Matrix in Shankar 12.4.4

In summary, The conversation discusses the concept of a vector operator and its transformation under a passive rotation generated by the operator U[R]. The book mentions a specific 2x2 rotation matrix, R[ij], in equation [12.2.1], but the student is confused about which specific rotation matrix is being referred to. The conversation also touches on the possibility of multiple 3x3 rotation matrices and the student's attempts to solve the problem correctly.
bjnartowt
Shankar 12.4.4 - "the" rotation matrix vs. "a" rotation matrix (tensor operators QM)

Homework Statement

My question comes up in the context of Shankar 12.4.4. See attached .pdf.

Homework Equations

See attached .pdf

The Attempt at a Solution

See attached .pdf

I have this problem: on Shankar p. 313, they say:
>>>>
We call V a vector operator if V's components transform as components of a vector under a passive transformation generated by U[R]",

[itex]{U^\dag }[R]{V_i}U[R] = {R_{ij}}{V_j}[/itex]

where R[ij] is *the* 2x2 rotation matrix appearing in [12.2.1] (NOTE, below)...The same definition of a vector operator holds in 3D as well, with the obvious difference that R[ij] is a 3x3 matrix."
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
But aren't there multiple 3x3 rotation matrices?

Also: I have attached some work from Merzbacher, beginning of chapter 12. I did this work, and something isn't clicking in my thick skull... :-p

NOTE: Can't look up 12.2.1, because p. 306 of my .pdf book is gone, and I didn't bring my hard-copy book home, as I'm on Thanksgiving break).

Physics news on Phys.org

I'm sorry, I didn't make my question clear. Initially, I am asking: *what* R[ij] is being talked about as "The" R[ij]. I think this is somewhat-related to my "another another" try in the first attachment "320 - pr 4-4 - classical-esque...", where I try to reverse-engineer a matrix R that has the components I want. However, as my aim is to solve this problem correctly, that may not even be the right question to ask...

...It also looks like the .pdfs didn't go through -_-

Attachments

• 233 - 01 - orbital angular momentum.pdf
    46.2 KB · Views: 335
  • 320 - pr 4-4 - classical-esque characteristics and commutators of vector operators.pdf
    39.4 KB · Views: 318

1. What is the difference between "The" and "A" rotation matrix in Shankar 12.4.4?

The main difference between "The" and "A" rotation matrix in Shankar 12.4.4 is their specific use in different scenarios. "The" rotation matrix refers to a specific rotation matrix that is unique to a particular coordinate system, while "A" rotation matrix refers to a general rotation matrix that can be applied to any coordinate system.

2. How are "The" and "A" rotation matrix calculated?

"The" rotation matrix is calculated by considering the specific orientation of the coordinate system, while "A" rotation matrix is calculated by considering the general rotational transformations in three-dimensional space.

3. Can "The" and "A" rotation matrix be used interchangeably?

No, "The" and "A" rotation matrix cannot be used interchangeably as they serve different purposes. "The" rotation matrix is specific to a particular coordinate system, while "A" rotation matrix is a general rotation matrix that can be applied to any coordinate system.

4. In what situations would you use "The" rotation matrix?

"The" rotation matrix is typically used when working within a specific coordinate system, where the orientation of the coordinate axes is known and needs to be maintained during the rotation.

5. How does comparing "The" vs. "A" rotation matrix relate to Shankar 12.4.4?

In Shankar 12.4.4, the author discusses the concept of rotational matrices in the context of quantum mechanics. The comparison between "The" and "A" rotation matrix is relevant in understanding how rotational transformations are applied in different coordinate systems and their significance in quantum mechanics.