Thermodynamics. Turbine, hwo to use enthelpy to find mass flow?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the necessary mass flow of air through a small high speed turbine operating on compressed air, with known pressure and temperature values at the inlet and exit. The first law for a control volume is applied and the change in enthalpy is determined without the use of steam tables. The suggestion to use change in internal energy is corrected by taking into account the expansion work done against the atmosphere.
eventob

Homework Statement

The problem (tried my best to translate it):
A small high speed turbine is operating on compressed air. It deliveres dW/dT=100 W. At the inlet, the pressure is 400 kPa and the temperature 50*C.

At the exit, the pressure is 150 kPa and the temperature -30*C.

Neglect the velocity and assume an adiabatic process. Find the necessary mass flow of air through the turbine.

Homework Equations

First law for control volume
Definition ofg enthalpy

The Attempt at a Solution

I have derived the first law for a control volume:
dE/dt=(dQ/dt)-(dW/dt)+∑m_i (h_i+0.5v_i^2+gz_i)-∑m_e (h_e+0.5v_e^2+gz_e)

Where t is time, and m_i og m_e is rate of change of mass flow at the inlet and exit, respecitively.
Assumed steady state: dE/dt=0.
Adibatic dQ/dt=0.
Also m_e´=m_i´=m´

By neglecting kinetic and potential energy associated with gravity, i end up with:

dW/dt=m(h_i-h_e) <=> m=(dW/dt) / (h_i-h_e)

So far so good, but now I need to find the change of enthalphy. We were supposed to solve this task without the use of steam tables. I have tried to use the definition of constant volume heat capacity, but no luck so far. Any input?

Thanks in advance. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I think all you have to do is apply the first law to an adiabatic process (ΔQ=0) so:

ΔU = -W => dU/dt = -dW/dt

So start by determining the internal energy change of 1 mole of air going from 323K to 243K. [This is not a reversible process so the change in pressure does not help you determine the work done]. Assume air is an ideal diatomic gas with a Cv of 5R/2.

AM

Let me ask, are you using temperature/pressure tables for air?

If so then with the known temp/pressure at the inlet (T1/P1) and the known temp/pressure at the outlet (T2/P2) then you can refer to the tables to find the inlet and outlet enthalpies, h1 and h2 respectively.

Thus Q = m(dot)*(h1 - h2)

Solve for m(dot)

Not sure if this is what your looking or but that is my two cents

LabGuy330 said:
Let me ask, are you using temperature/pressure tables for air?

If so then with the known temp/pressure at the inlet (T1/P1) and the known temp/pressure at the outlet (T2/P2) then you can refer to the tables to find the inlet and outlet enthalpies, h1 and h2 respectively.

Thus Q = m(dot)*(h1 - h2)

Solve for m(dot)

Not sure if this is what your looking or but that is my two cents
My suggestion to use change in internal energy is not correct because the work done on the turbine by the gas is not the total work that is done. Since the volume of the air doubles there is also the expansion work done against the atmosphere. This is taken into account in the change in enthalpy but not with the change in internal energy.

Since atmospheric pressure is constant you can determine the work done on the atmosphere: Watm = PatmΔV

By the first law,

ΔQ = 0 = ΔU + W where W is the total work done by the air = Wturbine + Watm

ΔU = -Wturbine + -Watm → Wturbine = - (ΔU + Watm) = -(ΔU + PatmΔV)

AM

Thermodynamics is a branch of science that deals with the study of energy and its transformations. It is a fundamental concept in understanding the behavior of various systems, including the operation of a turbine.

In this problem, we are given the necessary information to determine the mass flow of air through the turbine. To find this, we can use the first law of thermodynamics for a control volume, which takes into account the energy balance of the system.

We can also use the concept of enthalpy, which is defined as the sum of the internal energy and the product of pressure and volume. In an adiabatic process, where there is no heat transfer, the change in enthalpy is equal to the work done by the system.

To find the necessary mass flow, we can use the equation m = (dW/dt) / (h_i - h_e), where m is the mass flow, dW/dt is the power delivered by the turbine, and h_i and h_e are the enthalpies at the inlet and exit, respectively.

To find the enthalpies, we can use the definition of enthalpy and the ideal gas law. Since we are given the pressure and temperature at both the inlet and exit, we can use the ideal gas law to calculate the specific volume of air at those conditions. Then, by using the definition of enthalpy, we can calculate the enthalpies at the inlet and exit.

By substituting the values into the equation for mass flow, we can determine the necessary mass flow of air through the turbine. It is important to note that this solution assumes an adiabatic process and neglects the effects of kinetic and potential energy. However, in a real system, these factors may need to be taken into account for a more accurate calculation.

I hope this explanation helps in understanding how to use enthalpy to find mass flow in a turbine. Remember to always consider the assumptions and limitations of your calculations to ensure the accuracy of your results.

What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationship between heat, work, and energy. It studies how energy is converted from one form to another and how it affects the physical properties of matter.

What is a turbine?

A turbine is a machine that converts kinetic energy from a moving fluid (such as steam, gas, or water) into mechanical energy. It typically consists of a rotor with blades attached to a shaft, which is connected to a generator to produce electricity.

How do you use enthalpy to find mass flow?

To use enthalpy to find mass flow, you can use the equation: Mass flow rate = (Enthalpy change * Flow rate) / Enthalpy difference. This equation uses the change in enthalpy of the fluid, the flow rate of the fluid, and the difference in enthalpy between the inlet and outlet of the turbine.

What is enthalpy?

Enthalpy is a thermodynamic property that describes the total energy of a system. It takes into account the internal energy of the system, as well as the energy required to push back the surrounding pressure and volume.

What are the applications of thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics has a wide range of applications, including power generation, refrigeration and air conditioning, chemical processes, and combustion engines. It is also used in the design of turbines, heat exchangers, and other industrial equipment.