Lorentz Boosts in Group Representation (from Weinberg)

In summary, the choice made by Weinberg for boosts is "convenient" because it allows for multiple representations of said boost due to arbitrary rotations that may be performed. This is helpful because it simplifies the calculations and allows for easier understanding of the concept. This choice is expressed in terms of a decomposition RBR^{-1} and uses a 3x3 matrix with ##\Lambda^i{}_j## on row i, column j. When ##\Lambda## is a pure boost with arbitrary velocity v, this matrix is expressed as B=I+(\gamma-1)\frac{vv^T}{v^Tv}.
Elwin.Martin
Alright, so excuse my ignorance, but I have no idea why the choice he uses for boosts is "convenient"

Just to make sure everyone is on the same metric etc etc.
Weinberg uses (-,+,+,+)
with gamma defined traditionally
and God-given units

He requires that transformations..(oh my,,,how am I going to LaTeX this...)
[itex]\Lambda^{\alpha}_{\gamma}\Lambda^{\beta}_{\delta} \eta_{\alpha \beta}\equiv \eta_{\gamma \delta} [/itex]

and he considers a particle in O frame at rest, that is at velocity v in fram O'
I understand how he arrives at
[itex]\Lambda^{0}_{0}=\gamma[/itex]
and
[itex]\Lambda^{i}_{0}=\gamma v_{i}[/itex]

(nevermind, that wasn't so bad for LaTeX-ing)

but he then says that it is convenient to use
[itex]\Lambda^{i}_{j} = \delta_{ij}+ v_{i}v_{j}\frac{\gamma - 1}{\textbf{v}^{2}} [/itex]
and
[itex]\Lambda^{0}_{j}=\gamma v_{j}[/itex]

Why is this convenient? I get that we have multiple representations for said boost because of the arbitrary rotations we may perform, but why is this helpful?

Thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
Fredrik said:
It would be easier if you told us what page this is from. I suggest that you link directly to that page at Google Books.

Eq. 2.1.20 and 2.1.21 in his 1972-book "Gravitation", but it also appears expressed in terms of a massive particle momentum in Eq. 2.5.24 in his first QFT-book (1996). There are more details about the choice in the latter book, where I think he writes it as a decomposition [itex]RBR^{-1}[/itex] and uses this in the subsequent development.

Let B be the 3×3 matrix with ##\Lambda^i{}_j## on row i, column j. When ##\Lambda## is a pure boost in the 1 direction, we have
$$B=\begin{pmatrix}\gamma & 0 & 0\\ 0 & 1 & 0\\ 0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}.$$ Because of this, it seems likely that when ##\Lambda## is a pure boost with arbitrary velocity v, B will be such that for all x,
$$Bx=\gamma x_\parallel+x_\perp,$$ where ##x_\parallel## and ##x_\perp## are the unique vectors such that ##x_\parallel## is parallel to v, ##x_\perp## is orthogonal to v, and ##x=x_\parallel+x_\perp##. We have
\begin{align}
x_\parallel &=\Big\langle\frac{v}{\|v\|},x\Big\rangle \frac{v}{\|v\|} =\frac{v^Tx}{\sqrt{v^Tv}}\frac{v}{\sqrt{v^Tv}} =\frac{vv^T}{v^Tv}x\\
x_\perp &= x-x_\parallel=\Big(I-\frac{vv^T}{vv^T}\Big)x.
\end{align} So
$$Bx =\gamma x_\parallel+x_\perp =\gamma\frac{vv^T}{v^Tv}x +\Big(I-\frac{vv^T}{vv^T}\Big)x=(\gamma-1)\frac{vv^T}{v^Tv}x+x.$$
Since this holds for all x, we have
$$B=I+(\gamma-1)\frac{vv^T}{v^Tv}.$$ If anyone can think of a way to make the "seems likely" part rigorous, let me know.

Fredrik said:
Let B be the 3×3 matrix with ##\Lambda^i{}_j## on row i, column j. When ##\Lambda## is a pure boost in the 1 direction, we have
$$B=\begin{pmatrix}\gamma & 0 & 0\\ 0 & 1 & 0\\ 0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}.$$ Because of this, it seems likely that when ##\Lambda## is a pure boost with arbitrary velocity v, B will be such that for all x,
$$Bx=\gamma x_\parallel+x_\perp,$$ where ##x_\parallel## and ##x_\perp## are the unique vectors such that ##x_\parallel## is parallel to v, ##x_\perp## is orthogonal to v, and ##x=x_\parallel+x_\perp##. We have
\begin{align}
x_\parallel &=\Big\langle\frac{v}{\|v\|},x\Big\rangle \frac{v}{\|v\|} =\frac{v^Tx}{\sqrt{v^Tv}}\frac{v}{\sqrt{v^Tv}} =\frac{vv^T}{v^Tv}x\\
x_\perp &= x-x_\parallel=\Big(I-\frac{vv^T}{vv^T}\Big)x.
\end{align} So
$$Bx =\gamma x_\parallel+x_\perp =\gamma\frac{vv^T}{v^Tv}x +\Big(I-\frac{vv^T}{vv^T}\Big)x=(\gamma-1)\frac{vv^T}{v^Tv}x+x.$$
Since this holds for all x, we have
$$B=I+(\gamma-1)\frac{vv^T}{v^Tv}.$$ If anyone can think of a way to make the "seems likely" part rigorous, let me know.

Thank you!

That was very clear, I feel kind of silly not seeing that at first, haha.

I will be sure to give people page numbers for references to standard texts in the future to help them in helping me (and making this clearer for anyone who might search this later).

Thanks again,
Elwin

1. What is the concept of Lorentz boosts in group representation?

Lorentz boosts in group representation is a mathematical framework used to describe the transformations of physical quantities under the Lorentz group, which is the group of transformations that preserve the laws of physics in special relativity. It involves representing these transformations as matrices and using them to manipulate and study different physical quantities.

2. Why is group representation important in understanding Lorentz boosts?

Group representation allows us to study the properties of Lorentz boosts in a more systematic and mathematical way. It helps us to understand the symmetries and transformations of physical quantities in special relativity, and also provides a way to connect different physical quantities and their transformations under the Lorentz group.

3. What are some applications of Lorentz boosts in group representation?

Lorentz boosts in group representation have various applications in theoretical physics, particularly in the study of special relativity and quantum mechanics. They are used in the development of quantum field theories, particle physics, and cosmology, among others. They also have practical applications in the development of technologies such as GPS and particle accelerators.

4. How are Lorentz boosts represented in group representation?

Lorentz boosts are represented as matrices in group representation, specifically as elements of the Lorentz group. These matrices have the property of preserving the Minkowski metric, which is a mathematical representation of space-time in special relativity. The specific form of the matrices depends on the type of Lorentz boost being represented, such as boosts along different axes or in different directions.

5. Are there any limitations to using group representation for Lorentz boosts?

While group representation is a powerful tool for studying Lorentz boosts, it does have some limitations. One limitation is that it only applies to transformations that preserve the laws of physics, so it cannot be used for general transformations. Additionally, it may not be applicable in certain extreme cases, such as near the event horizon of a black hole where the laws of physics are drastically different.