[Algebra] Workload (rate) problems

In summary: I don't understand why it's adding the two efforts; though I understand that the '1' is that they can mow 1 lawn every number of minutes which is why it's a fraction. Isn't adding them just increasing the total time it takes to mow the lawn, by adding both Sarah's time to mow one lawn and Jessica's time to mow one lawn while doing it at the same time?
daigo
[Algebra] "Workload" (rate) problems

Andy takes 20 minutes to mow 75 square feet of grass.
Ben takes 30 minutes to mow 100 square feet of grass.
Charlie takes 25 minutes to mow 75 square feet of grass.
Dave takes 15 minutes to mow 70 square feet of grass.

If Andy starts to mow grass for 5 minutes, then Ben joins in for another 5 minutes, then Andy takes a break for 10 minutes then starts to mow again, while at the same time (when Andy takes his break) Charlie and Dave both join in but only for 8 minutes before quitting, how long will it take to mow 500 square feet of grass?

Intuitively, I don't even understand how the basic Q = rt works.

For a simpler problem, such as: Sarah takes 10 minutes to mow a single lawn and Jessica takes 15 minutes to mow that same lawn, apparently the algebra is:
(1/10) + (1/15) = 1/t
For the solution to how long it will take both to mow the same lawn if they do it together.

I don't understand why it's adding the two efforts; though I understand that the '1' is that they can mow 1 lawn every number of minutes which is why it's a fraction. Isn't adding them just increasing the total time it takes to mow the lawn, by adding both Sarah's time to mow one lawn and Jessica's time to mow one lawn while doing it at the same time?

So back to the original question, I'll attempt to just plug in numbers without even understanding why and how the formula even works:

A (Andy) = 75/20
B (Ben) = 100/30
C = 75/25
D = 70/15

So I guess the first step is to subtract the square feet that Andy already mowed at his pace for 5 minutes:

500/t - [(75/20)*5]
500/t - 75/4

Actually, I'm not even sure. My head hurts right now so I'll probably attempt it tomorrow after I sleep, but I'll just leave this here for any hints...

Physics news on Phys.org

daigo said:
Intuitively, I don't even understand how the basic Q = rt works.

For a simpler problem, such as: Sarah takes 10 minutes to mow a single lawn and Jessica takes 15 minutes to mow that same lawn, apparently the algebra is:
(1/10) + (1/15) = 1/t
For the solution to how long it will take both to mow the same lawn if they do it together.

I don't understand why it's adding the two efforts; though I understand that the '1' is that they can mow 1 lawn every number of minutes which is why it's a fraction. Isn't adding them just increasing the total time it takes to mow the lawn, by adding both Sarah's time to mow one lawn and Jessica's time to mow one lawn while doing it at the same time?

So back to the original question, I'll attempt to just plug in numbers without even understanding why and how the formula even works:

A (Andy) = 75/20
B (Ben) = 100/30
C = 75/25
D = 70/15

So I guess the first step is to subtract the square feet that Andy already mowed at his pace for 5 minutes:

500/t - [(75/20)*5]
500/t - 75/4

Actually, I'm not even sure. My head hurts right now so I'll probably attempt it tomorrow after I sleep, but I'll just leave this here for any hints...

In your simpler example: Sarah mows 15 lawns in 150 minutes and Jessica mows 10 lawns in 150 minutes, so in 150 minutes they together mow 25 lawns. Their combined rate is 25/150 lawns/min, and 25/150 = 1/10 + 1/15. Of course, this assumes that if they both work on the same lawn they do not get in each other's way, etc.

RGV

daigo said:
Sarah takes 10 minutes to mow a single lawn and Jessica takes 15 minutes to mow that same lawn, apparently the algebra is:
(1/10) + (1/15) = 1/t
Sarah mows 1/10 of a lawn in 1 minute.
Jessica mows 1/15 of a lawn in 1 minute.

Combined, they mow 1/10 + 1/15 of a lawn in 1 minute.

1. What is a "workload" or "rate" problem in algebra?

A "workload" or "rate" problem in algebra involves using mathematical equations to determine the amount of work done or time taken to complete a task. This can include calculating the rate of work, the time it takes to complete a task, or the amount of work done in a given amount of time.

2. How do I set up a "workload" or "rate" problem?

To set up a "workload" or "rate" problem, you will need to identify the variables involved, such as the rate of work, the time taken, and the amount of work done. You will then need to use the appropriate equation, such as rate x time = work, to solve for the missing variable.

3. What is the formula for solving "workload" or "rate" problems?

The formula for solving "workload" or "rate" problems is rate x time = work. This means that the rate of work multiplied by the time taken will give you the total amount of work done. This formula can be rearranged to solve for any of the three variables, depending on what information is given.

4. Can "workload" or "rate" problems be solved using algebraic expressions?

Yes, "workload" or "rate" problems can be solved using algebraic expressions. In fact, algebraic expressions are often used to represent the variables in these types of problems. By setting up and solving equations using algebraic expressions, you can easily find the solution to a "workload" or "rate" problem.

5. What are some real-life examples of "workload" or "rate" problems?

Real-life examples of "workload" or "rate" problems can include calculating the speed of a car (rate) given the distance traveled (work) and time taken, determining the time it takes to complete a task (time) given the amount of work (workload) and rate of work, or finding the efficiency of a machine (rate) based on the amount of work (workload) and time taken to complete a task.