Can I Design a Transformer Coil with These Specifications?

In summary, the individual is seeking a transformer with specific characteristics, including an operating frequency of 20kHz, a turns ratio of 1:8, and primary and secondary coils. They are wondering if they can design a coil themselves and if there is any easy-to-use transformer design software available. They have also contacted an engineering company but found the cost to be too high for their hobby purposes. They are advised to look for transformers at places like Radio Shack and to consider using a transistor circuit to pulse a 96 volt signal. It is also suggested that they use a small ferrite toroid and 40 turns for the primary. It is noted that a DC voltage can also be used with a voltage multiplier.
hobbs125
I am in need of a transformer which has the following characteristics:

Operating frequency 20kHz
Turns Ratio 1:8
Primary 12V square wave @ around 100mA max
Dual secondary coils (wound together with equal turns)
(Note: Only 1 secondary coil will operate at any given time)
Secondary 96V square wave at 1mA max
Load is simply a high watt resistor.

Now, my question is, with this information could I design a coil myself?

Is there any easy to learn transformer design software I could use for this?

I contacted an engineering company and they wanted 1,000 dollars just to start the project...I don't need this for anything important, it just for a hobby, nothing long term either, just something to play around with and learn from...

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
20Khz is an audio frequency. Transformers that handle that frequency could be looked for at places such as Radio Shack.

The problem with using a transformer to raise the voltage level of a square wave is that you will loose the high frequency components of the square wave due to the action of the transformer as a filter coil. You can input a square wave, but the output will be rounded to resemble a sine wave.

A square wave is a sine wave with high frequency components the make the sharp edges added to the basic sine wave. Since any inductor will have more resistance at higher frequencies than lower frequencies those high frequency components get blocked leaving you with a sine wave.

If you have a square wave output at 12 volts you would need to have it feed a circuit that has the capability of pulsing a 96 volt signal. A transistor circuit would probably be your best bet and be sure to choose a transistor with a emitter collector voltage never exceed of greater than 200 volts.

Primary and secondary currents are related. So if max secondary is 1mA, with your turns ratio primary should be not much over 8mA (or double this, if you have a pair of secondaries). If your output is 96v at 1mA, you won't need a high power resistor for such a load.

V · I ≈ 0.1 watt

A small ferrite toroid about the size of an ostentatious wedding ring might do. Thread your enamelled wire through it. Try 40 turns for the the primary if you can't think of a better number.

Keep in mind that if you can deliver a DC voltage to your resistor (instead of a square wave), then it's easy to build a 8x voltage multiplier from diodes and capacitors only.

1. What is a transformer coil?

A transformer coil is an essential component of a transformer, which helps to transfer electrical energy from one circuit to another through electromagnetic induction. It is made of insulated copper wire wound around a core, typically made of iron, that helps to concentrate and direct the magnetic field generated by the current in the coil.

2. How is the number of turns in a transformer coil determined?

The number of turns in a transformer coil is determined by the desired voltage ratio between the input and output circuits. This is calculated using the formula: N1/N2 = V1/V2, where N1 and N2 are the number of turns in the primary and secondary coil, and V1 and V2 are the input and output voltages, respectively.

3. What factors affect the design of a transformer coil?

The design of a transformer coil is affected by various factors, such as the desired voltage ratio, frequency, current rating, and size constraints. The type of core material, the wire diameter, and the insulation material also play a role in the design of the coil.

4. How does the shape of the transformer coil affect its performance?

The shape of the transformer coil can affect its performance in terms of efficiency and electromagnetic interference. A circular or rectangular shape is commonly used, as it helps to evenly distribute the magnetic flux and minimize losses. A square or diamond-shaped coil may also be used to reduce leakage inductance.

5. What are the common methods used for winding a transformer coil?

The two most common methods used for winding a transformer coil are the helical winding method and the crossover winding method. In the helical method, the wire is wound in a circular fashion around the core. In the crossover method, the wire is wound back and forth in a zigzag pattern, which helps to reduce leakage inductance and increase the efficiency of the transformer.