Free particle has a Gaussian wave packet wave function.

I also found a solution to the integral from my old complex variables class that is as follows:\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-ax^{2}+bx}dx=\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{a}}e^{b^{2}/4a}With this solution we find the following:\Psi(x,t)=\left(\frac{4a}{\pi}\right)^{1/4}\frac{e^{-ax^{2}}}{\sqrt{1+(i2\hbar at/m)}}which is exactly the same as found in the text.In summary, the conversation discusses problem 2.22 from D.J. Griffiths Introduction to Quantum Mechanics, which involves
Agent M27

Homework Statement

This is problem 2.22 from D.J. Griffiths Introduction to Quantum Mechanics

A free particle has the initial wave function:

[itex]\Psi(x,0)[/itex]=A[itex]e^{-ax^{2}}[/itex]

Find [itex]\Psi(x,t)[/itex]. Hint Integrals of the form:
[itex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}[/itex][itex]e^{-(ax^{2}+bx)}dx[/itex]

can be handled by completing the square: Let [itex]y\equiv \sqrt{a}[x+(b/2a)][/itex], and note that [itex](ax^{2}+bx)=y^{2}-(b^{2}/4a)[/itex].

Homework Equations

[itex]\Psi(x,t)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \phi(k)e^{i(kx-\omega t)}dk[/itex]

[itex]\phi(k)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \Psi(x,0)e^{-ikx}dx[/itex]

[itex]\omega=\frac{\hbar k^{2}}{2m}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Homework Statement

So I found [itex]\phi(k)=\left(\frac{1}{2\pi a}\right)^{1/4}e^{-k^{2}/4a}[/itex].

Plugging this into my eq for [itex]\Psi(x,t)[/itex] I get the following:

[itex]\Psi(x,t)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\left(\frac{1}{2\pi a}\right)^{1/4}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-k^{2}/4a}e^{i(kx-(\hbar k^{2}/2m)t)}dk[/itex]

[itex]=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\left(\frac{1}{2\pi a}\right)^{1/4}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}exp[-\left(\left(\frac{i\hbar t}{2m}+\frac{1}{4a}\right)k^{2}-ikx\right)]dk[/itex]

Now here is where I get stuck. I feel like I need to do another completing the square manipulation to argument of the exponential,but I am having trouble seeing how the obtained the following solution:

[itex]\Psi(x,t)=\left(\frac{2a}{\pi}\right)^{(1/4)}\frac{e^{-ax^{2}}/[1+(i2\hbar at/m}{\sqrt{1+(i2\hbar at/m)}}[/itex]

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Seems as though Professor Griffiths has some real cute tricks up his sleeve. Thanks in advance.

Joe

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you pull out a factor of 1/4a in the coefficient of the quadratic term, the exponent will be equal to
$$-\left[\left(1+\frac{i2\hbar a t}{m}\right) \frac{k^2}{4a} - ikx\right]$$ To save you some writing, it would convenient to define ##\beta = 1+ i2\hbar at/m## since that quantity appears in the expression you're trying to derive. So you want to complete the square on
$$-\left(\frac{\beta}{4a}k^2 - ikx\right)$$

Ah ha! Thanks a lot Vela.

1. What is a free particle?

A free particle is a concept in physics that refers to a particle that is not subject to any external forces or interactions. This means that it is able to move freely without any external influences, such as gravity or electromagnetic forces.

2. What is a Gaussian wave packet?

A Gaussian wave packet is a mathematical function that describes the probability distribution of a particle over space. It is characterized by a peak in the center and gradually decreasing amplitudes on either side.

3. What is a wave function?

A wave function is a mathematical representation of the quantum state of a particle. It describes the probability of finding the particle in a particular location or state at a given time.

4. How is the Gaussian wave packet wave function related to a free particle?

The Gaussian wave packet wave function is a solution to the Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of a free particle in quantum mechanics. It represents the probability distribution of the particle's position over time.

5. What is the significance of a Gaussian wave packet in quantum mechanics?

Gaussian wave packets are commonly used in quantum mechanics because they accurately describe the behavior of a free particle. They also have a simple and well-defined mathematical form, making them easier to work with in calculations and experiments.