Could CDs (Compact Disc) cause fire if I hang them outside the windows?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of CDs hung outside a window to prevent birds from pooping, and the concern that this may cause a fire. However, it is determined that the probability of a fire is low and there are other potential fire hazards to be aware of. The original poster has removed the CDs to prevent further complaints.
ahkow
Hi, I live in 6th floor of an apartment. To prevent birds from pooping beside my window, I hang some unlabeled CDs along a string outside the window. The window is facing east, and people start complaining about it, that it might cause fire.

I wonder if that is even possible? I personally do not believe that but I need some advice. Thank you very much.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think the probability of fire is increased by some randomly oriented CDs dangling on a string, especially in an apartment building which I assume is not even wooden. What exactly is supposed to catch fire there?

A CD will NOT act as a 'collecting mirror' because it is flat and not parabolic. That would be the only way that the Sun's rays could be focussed enough to cause burning.
Something that IS a fire hazard is a spherical glass paperweight left in the sun. I have a groove in a table top where the Sun's image was burned into the wood as the Sun moved overhead. Also, a concave shaving or makeup mirror could do the same thing if you were unlucky.
All mirrors should be covered with a cloth when not in use. But not to prevent fires - just to discourage vanity. haha

Thank you for your replies, nevertheless I have removed the CD just to prevent further complaints :)

Perhaps >500 cd's carefully arranged into a paraboloid could cause a fire :-)

1. Could CDs cause fire if I hang them outside the windows?

The answer is no, CDs alone cannot cause a fire if hung outside a window. CDs are made of plastic and aluminum, which are not flammable materials. However, if the sun's rays are reflected off the CD and onto a flammable material, such as curtains or paper, it could potentially start a fire. Therefore, it is important to be cautious when hanging CDs outside windows.

2. Are there any precautions I should take when hanging CDs outside my windows?

Yes, it is recommended to hang CDs away from direct sunlight and in a way that they cannot reflect sunlight onto any flammable materials. It is also important to regularly check and replace CDs if they become damaged or warped, as this could increase the risk of fire.

3. Can CD cases also cause a fire if hung outside windows?

No, CD cases are made of plastic and are not flammable. However, the same precautions should still be taken as with CDs to avoid any potential fire hazards.

4. Is there a specific type of CD that is more likely to cause a fire?

No, all CDs are made of similar materials and have the potential to reflect sunlight. It is important to take precautions with any type of CD to avoid the risk of fire.

5. What should I do if I see a CD hanging outside a window that could potentially cause a fire?

If you see a CD hanging outside a window that is reflecting sunlight onto flammable materials, it is important to alert the owner and advise them to take it down or move it to a safer location. It is also important to contact the proper authorities if the situation appears to be a serious fire hazard.