Solving an Inverse Problem with f(x)=5+2x+5e^x

• Thread starter sonya
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inverse
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the inverse function of f(x) and f^-1(10). The person is struggling with this type of problem and seeks help. They are reminded that the problem only asks for f^-1(10), not the entire inverse function. The concept of inverse functions is explained and a solution is provided. The person expresses gratitude for the clarification.
sonya
i keep getting stuck on these inverse problems...

the question is

let f(x)=5+2x+5e^x
f^-1(10)=?

i keep messing up on these problems and now I am not really sure where exactly 2 start...i know i got to find the inverse but i would appreciate some help on getting started on this problem...thx

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no way to algebraically find the inverse function to f(x)- not with x both in the exponent and as a base.

However, the problem does NOT ask you to find "f-1", it only asks you to find "f-1(10)".

Can you think of a value of x such that f(x)= 10 and what does that have to do with the problem?

well...f(x)=10 when x=0
but i don't c ne relation btwn that and the inverse...

Then I think we've discovered WHY you keep "getting stuck on these inverse problems"! That's the DEFINITION of inverse!

Two functions (call them f and g) are "inverse" to each other (here's the "formal" definition) if and only if f(g(x))= x and g(f(x))= x for all x.

If f(x)= y, then f-1(f(x))= f-1(y)= x.

Since f(0)= 10, f-1(10)= 0.

Whenever f(a)= b, then f-1(b)= a.

if f: x-> y then f-1y-> x

thats it?...how come it looks so simple now?...neways thanks 4 clearing things up!...

What is an inverse problem?

An inverse problem is a mathematical or scientific problem where the goal is to determine the cause or input of a particular outcome or set of observations. In other words, it involves working backwards from the desired result to find the underlying factors or parameters that led to that result.

How is an inverse problem different from a direct problem?

A direct problem involves using known inputs or parameters to predict the resulting outcome. An inverse problem, on the other hand, involves using the desired outcome to determine the unknown inputs or parameters. Inverse problems are often more complex and challenging than direct problems.

What are some real-world examples of inverse problems?

Inverse problems can be found in a wide range of fields, including physics, engineering, geology, and medicine. Some examples include determining the composition of a distant planet based on its observed properties, identifying the source of an earthquake, and reconstructing an image from a set of data collected by a medical imaging device.

What are some common techniques used to solve inverse problems?

Some common techniques used to solve inverse problems include optimization algorithms, statistical methods, and numerical simulations. These techniques often involve creating a mathematical model of the inverse problem, then using various computational methods to find the most likely solution.

What are the challenges of solving inverse problems?

Solving inverse problems can be challenging due to the complex and often non-linear relationships between the inputs and outputs, as well as the presence of noise or uncertainties in the data. Inverse problems also often have multiple possible solutions, making it difficult to determine the most accurate or realistic solution.