Manufacturing design / process engineer - hands on or sit on yer butt?

In summary, the conversation discusses the role of a manufacturing process design engineer and whether it involves more hands-on work compared to other engineering roles. The speaker mentions that they work with many MPEs and their job involves identifying and fixing problems with parts. They also mention that some people enjoy the job because it allows them to get up and walk around, while others prefer more screen time. The speaker notes that the job may vary depending on the type of company.
H2Bro
Manufacturing design / process engineer -- hands on or sit on yer butt?

I've heard that manufacturing process design engineers (not sure if that's exactly the right title, basically designing the things you see on "how its made") have much more "hands on" experiences than other engineering roles.

I'm casting about here to see if anyone has experience in this particular field, or if you know someone that has, and if so, do they actually enjoy a higher degree of hands-on work compared to, say, other engineering disciplines that are more "keyboard and mouse" oriented?

H2bro

Physics news on Phys.org

I work with a lot of MPE's at my job. We're typically at the tail-end of the building process of any part. It's already been designed, and most of the kinks should already be out (although, often times there are still many to iron out). Assemblers who build the product are expected to make them to a certain quality, and when a part fails or is incorrectly built it is up to us to see where it failed and how to fix it. We write the processes in our computer to tell the assemblers how to fix the problem. It allows more opportunity to get up, walk around, take apart products and get a good look inside to see where the problem lies.

I know a few people who love their job as Manufacturing Process Engineers because they don't like to just stare at a screen all day. It depends on what you like doing the most. I don't mind staring at a computer, but I don't mind looking inside jobs and finding out what makes them tick, either. We do spend a lot of time on the computer writing processes, however. If you like seeing a product, being able to tear it down and figure out how to make them better, you'd like being an MPE.

Note: I work for a company that doesn't have an assembly line. They provide mostly low-volume products that are assembled by hand. The atmosphere for an MPE at Boeing would be drastically different, I imagine.

1. What is the role of a manufacturing design/process engineer?

A manufacturing design/process engineer is responsible for designing, implementing, and improving manufacturing processes for a variety of products. They use their expertise in engineering, design, and production to ensure that products are made efficiently and effectively.

2. What skills are necessary for a hands-on manufacturing design/process engineer?

A hands-on manufacturing design/process engineer should have a strong background in engineering and design principles, as well as a deep understanding of manufacturing processes and equipment. They should also have excellent problem-solving and communication skills, as well as the ability to work well in a team.

3. How does a hands-on manufacturing design/process engineer differ from a sit-on-your-butt engineer?

A hands-on manufacturing design/process engineer is actively involved in the physical aspects of the manufacturing process, such as operating machinery, testing prototypes, and troubleshooting any issues that arise. A sit-on-your-butt engineer, on the other hand, may primarily focus on design and planning, and may not have as much involvement in the actual production process.

4. What are the benefits of having a hands-on manufacturing design/process engineer?

Having a hands-on manufacturing design/process engineer can lead to more efficient and effective production processes. They are able to identify and solve problems quickly, as well as make improvements to the manufacturing process in real-time. They also have a better understanding of the limitations and capabilities of the equipment and can design processes accordingly.

5. How can a hands-on manufacturing design/process engineer contribute to cost savings?

A hands-on manufacturing design/process engineer can contribute to cost savings by identifying areas where the manufacturing process can be streamlined or made more efficient. By optimizing the process, they can reduce waste, increase productivity, and ultimately save the company money. They can also identify opportunities for automation or new technologies that can lower production costs.