What kind of engine do I need to build a flying board ?

In summary, a person wants to build a flying board that uses small engines to lift them and propel them forward. They need to control the board with devices on their hand. They also want to make sure the engines are small and the board is big.
eduardojgg91
What kind of engine do I need to build a "flying board"?

Hi there,

I'm pretty much new here and I've been making lots of research about engines, ion engines, turbines etc. But I still don't understand.

I want to build a steel board, since I have the facility to work with any kind of metal because of my dad. The thing is I want to make the board "fly", just enough to keep it away from the floor. I want to have that feeling of being on a "flying board" working with engines. Those kind of engines that use flame throwers or wind or whatever, I see that aircrafts does not throw flames though.

I'm pretty much new to engines and that stuff but I'm not stupid, and I learn right away everything I read.

I will need more than 1 engine, maybe 2 engines under the board to lift it and keep it "floating" at any hight and another engine to make it move forward, to cause thrust. I want to control this board with any device on my hand, that'll be another topic. For now I want to build the engines, propulsory system, turbine, ion thrust or whatever is called :)

Of course I don't want a big engine, I want them small, the board will be very big, maybe as long as a snowboard or a bit more, but way wider, maybe twice a snowboard. I don't know how much power the engines will need to lift me (including the board) I weigh 160 lb though.

Is this possible?

Thanks a lot! I'm really into this, I have the facilities to everything at my dad's office, thanks!:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org

Hey, I'm also researching on the same thing that you are on . Through my research I would prefer you to use ' JET CAT P200 ' for thrust which would give it accelaration but still i think you should use propellers under the board to keep the board hovering . I have not yet figured out which propellers should do .™

Last edited by a moderator:

If you want to make a hovering board your biggest issue will probably be stability (assuming you can find an engine that produces a sufficient amount of thrust). Your best bet may be to configure your engines in the "quad copter" style. If you are planning to make it so you can lift your body in the air, good luck. You will need quite a bit of thrust, perhaps pressurized gas to get it to hold you in the air for an appreciable amount of time.

Something else you may be interested are the "Ekranoplans" built by the Russians. These are also known as ground effect vehicles.

I have thought about the same thing. At that size, ducted fans powered by electric motors or two stroke reciprocating engine will be the most efficient method of propulsion. Gas turbines will be much too complicated and the fuel consumption will be too high.
After giving it a lot of thought, I gave up the idea and decided to work on a VTOL 'JET BIKE' thing. It's a long term project. It's stability will be greater than a board since you don't have to stand on it. Think about it.

That depends. Do you want to hover or fly?

It will not mean much if it hovers motionlessly, will it?

That depends completely on your goals. Using sound pressure to hover the weight of a human would be extremely impressive and unheard of.

Last edited:

The US Army built and flew a flying platform in the 1950s, based on a ducted prop in the base of the platform.
The vehicle was controlled by leaning in the preferred direction. The platform was about 5 feet wide and four feet high, mostly railing for the pilot/user to hold on to.
The vehicle was demonstrated to about 20 feet height, so it could cross obstacles.
Nothing came of it, so presumably there were problems with operations on windy days or with several together.
For a 'do it yourself' hover platform, I think one of the air cushion pads would work, as they float using compressed air squirted out the bottom of the platform.
As long as there is a flat floor, the platform can float with little power about a tenth of an inch above the floor. Works great for moving aircraft assemblies.

1. What is the best type of engine for a flying board?

The best type of engine for a flying board would be a jet engine or a high-powered electric motor. These types of engines provide enough thrust and power to lift the board off the ground and keep it in flight.

2. Can I use a regular car engine for a flying board?

No, a regular car engine is not suitable for a flying board. Car engines are designed to power heavy vehicles on the ground, not to provide enough thrust for flight. They are also too heavy and would not be able to meet the power-to-weight ratio needed for a flying board.

3. How many engines do I need for a flying board?

The number of engines needed for a flying board depends on the size and weight of the board, as well as the power of the engine. Generally, one or two engines are enough to power a flying board, but larger and heavier boards may require more engines for optimal flight.

4. Can I use a renewable energy source for the engine of a flying board?

Yes, it is possible to use a renewable energy source for the engine of a flying board. Electric motors powered by rechargeable batteries are a popular choice for flying boards as they are more environmentally friendly and produce less noise than traditional engines.

5. How do I choose the right engine for my flying board?

Choosing the right engine for a flying board requires considering factors such as weight, power, and safety. It is important to consult with experts and do thorough research to determine the best engine for your specific flying board design and needs.