Electrolytic Cell: Copper Nitrate, Copper & Lead Rods

• Thread starter decamij
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cells
In summary, we have a electrolytic cell with a solution of copper (II) nitrate, where a copper rod is the anode and a lead rod is the cathode. The reducing agent is Cu2+ and the oxidizing agent is Pb. The water will remain in the solution and the strong reducing and oxidizing agents can only be present in the solution. Cu is definitely a reducing agent and Cu2+ is an oxidizing agent, while Pb cannot be a reducing agent because it is made the cathode. The result of running this cell will be a voltage generated due to the differences between the copper on one side and the Pb on the other. The reactions at the electrodes are Cu -> Cu2+ + 2e-
decamij
let's say we have an electrolytic cell with a copper (II) nitrate solution. a copper rod is the anode and a lead rod is the cathode.

Are these the reducing and oxidizing agents?
RA: NO3-
Pb(s)
Cu(s)

OA: Cu2+

Where would water go? and what are the strong reducing and oxidizing agents?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Pertaining to this equation there is only one reducing agent and one oxidizing agent, oneo f them will be in solid form while the other in anionic form. You need to compare the EMF values of each corresponding equation.

When i listed all of the RAs and OAs, i only listed them so that i can determine the strong OA and RA. By listing them, i could compare the values from a REDOX table, and see which is actually the RA and OA. So is my list correct (i.e. Would Pb and Cu metals be RAs)?

Cu is definitely an RA and Cu^2+ is an OA. Pb can not be an RA because it is made the cathode.

Ask yourself what will be the result of running this cell. What will happen ? That will automatically tell you what gets reduced and what, oxidized ?

So the SRA and SOA can only be present in the solution, not at the cathodes?

No, Cu from the anode is the reducing agent.

Gokul43201 said:
Cu is definitely an RA and Cu^2+ is an OA. Pb can not be an RA because it is made the cathode.

Ask yourself what will be the result of running this cell. What will happen ? That will automatically tell you what gets reduced and what, oxidized ?

I don't believe that the same element can be the oxidizing and the reducing agent. If copper (s) is the reducing agent, that is it is oxidized, then it will probably be oxidized by the oxidizing agent, Pb cation, which is reduced by the reducing agent.

The voltage generated will be the result of differences between the copper on one side and the Pb on the other.

GeneralChemTutor said:
I don't believe that the same element can be the oxidizing and the reducing agent. If copper (s) is the reducing agent, that is it is oxidized, then it will probably be oxidized by the oxidizing agent, Pb cation, which is reduced by the reducing agent.

The voltage generated will be the result of differences between the copper on one side and the Pb on the other.

I'm not sure I follow. Where does [itex]Pb^{2+} [/itex] come from ? Pb makes up the cathode where only reduction can occur.

This looks more than anything, like an electrodeposition cell, where you are copper plating the lead cathode.

At the anode, [tex]Cu \rightarrow Cu^{2+} + 2e^-~ : oxidation [/tex]

At the cathode, [tex]Cu^{2+} + 2e^- \rightarrow Cu~ : reduction [/tex]

Perhaps I'm just wrong, it's been several years since I studied electrochemistry. What do you think the reactions at the electrodes are ?

I'm not sure I follow. Where does come from ? Pb makes up the cathode where only reduction can occur.

This looks more than anything, like an electrodeposition cell, where you are copper plating the lead cathode.

At the anode,

At the cathode,

Perhaps I'm just wrong, it's been several years since I studied electrochemistry. What do you think the reactions at the electrodes are ?

I'm not completely sure about my answer either. However, note that each of the Pb or Cu is partly soluble in the solution and thus there will be corresponding ions present. Also note that Pb is on one side of the cell while Cu on the other. For instance if copper oxidized (I'll have to check the charts to make sure of this), this means that it's electrons will flow through to reduce the Pb2+ which exists in the water, so that we see an increasing mass of Pb(s) over time, in the meanwhile voltage is generated due to the free energy of this process. I think from this you should be able to understand where I'm coming from.

Last edited:
But the mass of Pb can not exceed the original mass of the cathode. What happens after the tiny number of Pb2+ ions in solution get reduced and redeposited onto the cathode ?

Well note that the free energy of the reaction directly relates to the relative amounts of Cu2+ that is formed by oxidation and the amount of Pb2+ that is reduced to Pb(s); that is this will probably be the limiting rate in a sense, also it will probably take a very short amount of time to reach equilbrium (pertaining to the free energy of this reaction) and for the Voltage generated to return to zero. Note that the standard reduction potentials that we use pertain to equimolar ratios of the two compounds, or in this case, probably pertains to the ratio of ions. Hope this makes sense.

Well note that the free energy of the reaction directly relates to the relative amounts of Cu2+ that is formed by oxidation and the amount of Pb2+ that is reduced to Pb(s)); that is this will probably be the limiting rate in a sense, also it will probably take a very short amount of time to reach equilbrium (pertaining to the free energy of this reaction) and for the Voltage generated to return to zero.
Wait a minute. This is not a galvanic cell, it is an electrolytic cell. You are applying an external voltage across the electrodes, not requiring the spontaneous reaction to generate a voltage. I believe this may be the cause of our disagreement.

If it were a galvanic cell, I'd agree with you. Without a source of Pb2+ ions, the voltage will rapidly vanish.

This, however, is a simple electroplating/electrodeposition cell. You have a cathode of some metal, an anode of fresh copper and an electrolyte containing copper ions (usually CuSo4; but in this case nitrate). At the anode the Cu gets oxidized to Cu2+, and at the cathode the Cu2+ gets reduced to copper, resulting in a copper plating over the cathode.

You're right regarding my mistake of this as an galvanic cell. I'm still a bit uncertain about your result, seems to depend a bit on the arrangment of the cell and solution used.

I'll get back on this tommorrow.

Last edited:
Deposition Potential

Hi! I'm plating copper on a copper cathode and I was wondering how I can estimate the deposition potential, especially the overpotentials. Thanks

-buknoy

1. What is an electrolytic cell?

An electrolytic cell is a type of electrochemical cell that uses electricity to drive a non-spontaneous chemical reaction. In this process, electrical energy is converted into chemical energy.

2. How does an electrolytic cell work?

In an electrolytic cell, two electrodes (usually made of metal) are submerged in an electrolyte solution. When an external power source is connected to the electrodes, it causes a flow of electrons from the anode (positive electrode) to the cathode (negative electrode). This flow of electrons drives a chemical reaction at the electrodes, resulting in the production of new substances.

3. What is the purpose of using copper nitrate in an electrolytic cell?

Copper nitrate is used as an electrolyte in this type of cell because it can easily dissociate into its component ions, which are necessary for the electrolytic process to occur. The copper ions (Cu2+) will be reduced at the cathode, while the nitrate ions (NO3-) will be oxidized at the anode.

4. Why are copper and lead rods used as electrodes in this type of cell?

Copper and lead are commonly used as electrodes because they are good conductors of electricity and are relatively inert in the electrolyte solution. This means that they will not react with the solution and interfere with the desired chemical reactions taking place.

5. What is the purpose of the copper rod in an electrolytic cell?

The copper rod serves as the cathode in this setup. As the electrons flow from the anode to the cathode, the copper ions in the solution will be reduced and deposited onto the copper rod, creating a layer of solid copper. This process is known as electroplating and is commonly used in industries to coat objects with a layer of metal.