A theorem about identically zero potential function

In summary, the conversation discusses a theorem in optics that states that if a potential function is zero along a curve and its normal derivative is also zero at any point along the curve, then the function is zero in the entire plane. The conversation also brings up the question of whether the theorem is true for any curve or if the function must be an analytic function between complex numbers. The conversation concludes by discussing a potential counterexample and the importance of being analytic in proving the theorem.
QuArK21343
I found this theorem in my book on optics which I cannot prove: if f is a potential function in the plane, which is zero along a curve and such that the normal derivative to the curve is itself zero at any point along the curve, then f is zero in the whole plane. Can you give me a reference on this result or briefly explain how is it so?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think there are details missing. One of the following might possibly fix your statement.

Is it true for any curve?

Is f an analytic function between complex numbers? Double check the buildup to the author's statement, details may be hiding.

I feel the statement as it is is false.

If we take f(x,y)=e^(-1/x),
then f(0,y)=0.
The normal derivative is ∂f/∂y(0,y)=0.
But f(x,y) is not identically zero.

But this function is not analytic from the view point of complex analysis, and the condition of analyticity may correct the statement.

Here is the full passage:

"A well-known theorem in riemann's theory of functions says that if a two-dimensional potential v vanishes together with its normal derivative along a finite curve segment s, then v vanishes identically in the whole plane."

Analyticity is not stated, but maybe it is given for granted. In this case, would the theorem be true?

It sounds like you are talking about a function whose Laplacian is 0:
$$ \frac{\partial^2v}{\partial x ^2}+\frac{\partial^2v}{\partial y ^2}=0.$$
This would explain why you are calling it a potential function. So yes, because of that, v is analytic. But what's more important is that there exists another conjugate harmonic function u such that [itex]f(z) = u(x,y)+iv(x,y)[/itex] is complex analytic. Your hypotheses imply that along the curve, f'(z) =0. But f'(z) is complex analytic, and such functions can only have isolated zeros unless they are zero everywhere. Therefore, being zero over a whole curve implies f'(z) is zero everywhere. Which implies that f(z) is constant which implies that f(z) is zero which implies that v is zero everywhere.

Thank you, Vargo!

1. What is a theorem about identically zero potential function?

A theorem about identically zero potential function states that if a potential function is equal to zero at all points within a given region, then the electric field within that region is also equal to zero.

2. How is this theorem related to electric fields?

The theorem about identically zero potential function is directly related to electric fields because it shows that if there is no change in potential, there is also no electric field present within a given region.

3. What does it mean for a potential function to be identically zero?

A potential function being identically zero means that the value of the function is equal to zero at all points within a given region. This implies that there is no change in potential within that region.

4. What is the significance of this theorem in physics?

The theorem about identically zero potential function is significant in physics because it helps to understand the relationship between potential and electric fields. It also allows us to simplify calculations and make predictions about the behavior of electric fields in certain regions.

5. Can this theorem be applied to other types of fields besides electric fields?

Yes, this theorem can also be applied to other types of fields, such as gravitational fields. In these cases, if the potential function is equal to zero at all points within a region, then the gravitational field within that region is also equal to zero. This principle can be applied to various fields in physics.