What is/how do i measure the module of these bevel gears?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of recreating bevel gears in CAD and the need to determine the module or diametral pitch of the gears. The pinion has 9 teeth and a tip diameter of 39.3mm, while the gear has 14 teeth and a tip diameter of 54.5mm. The formula mentioned is mod = pcd/n, where n represents the number of teeth, and it is stated that one value is needed to find the other.
hexhamallstar
Hi all,

I've got 2 bevel gears that I'm recreating in CAD, I've got the shapes down it's just a little bit of fine tuning with the dimensions, for which I need the module/diametral pitch of the gears.

The pinion has 9 teeth and a tip diameter of roughly 39.3mm, and the gear has 14 teeth and a tip diameter of 54.5mm. How would I go about finding the module/pitch diameter of these gears? They are straight bevel gears, and I've attached photographs below.

Thanks,

Phil

Attachments

• 9-tooth-pinion.jpg
    9-tooth-pinion.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 938
  • 12-tooth-gear.JPG
    12-tooth-gear.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 839
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
mod = pcd/n

n =# of teeth.

as far as i know, you need one to find the other.

What is the module of a bevel gear?

The module of a bevel gear refers to the size of the teeth on the gear. It is a unit of measurement that indicates the distance between the gear's center and the pitch circle, which is the imaginary circle where the gear's teeth meet.

How is the module of a bevel gear measured?

The module of a bevel gear is typically measured using a gear measuring machine or a caliper. The gear measuring machine uses precision instruments to measure the size and shape of the gear's teeth, while a caliper is a hand-held tool that can be used to measure the distance between the gear's center and pitch circle.

Why is it important to measure the module of bevel gears?

Measuring the module of bevel gears is important because it determines the gear's size, shape, and compatibility with other gears. It also helps ensure that the gears will mesh properly and function correctly in a gear system, preventing potential damage or malfunctions.

What factors can affect the module measurement of bevel gears?

The module measurement of bevel gears can be affected by manufacturing variations, wear and tear, and improper handling. The accuracy of the measurement can also be affected by the precision of the measuring equipment and technique used.

Can the module of bevel gears be changed?

No, the module of bevel gears cannot be changed once they have been manufactured. However, the gear ratio of a gear system can be adjusted by pairing different gears with different modules together. This is why it is important to know the module of a bevel gear before selecting it for a gear system.