Diagonalizing a symmetric matrix with non-distinct eigenvalues

In summary: But the book I have been studying (Linear Algebra and its app. Strang) repeatedly states that if a matrix has no repeated eigenvalues then its eigenvectors are independent.
Fractal20

Homework Statement

Given the matrix A:

4 2 2
2 4 2
2 2 4

Find the matrix P such that P-1AP is diagonal

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I had this question today on a placement exam and it threw me for a loop. I found the eigenvalues to be 2,2, and 8. The eigenvectors are (-1,1,0), (-1, 0, 1), and (1,1,1) respectively. So my understanding was that with any real symmetric matrix it should be possible to write it in this form. However, my understanding was also that it had to have n linear independent eigenvectors which meant no repeated eigenvalues. Which way is it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Fractal20 said:

Homework Statement

Given the matrix A:

4 2 2
2 4 2
2 2 4

Find the matrix P such that P-1AP is diagonal

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I had this question today on a placement exam and it threw me for a loop. I found the eigenvalues to be 2,2, and 8. The eigenvectors are (-1,1,0), (-1, 0, 1), and (1,1,1) respectively. So my understanding was that with any real symmetric matrix it should be possible to write it in this form. However, my understanding was also that it had to have n linear independent eigenvectors which meant no repeated eigenvalues. Which way is it?

With repeated eigenvalues, say of multiplicity m (m = 2 in your case) you can have: (i) m linearly independent eigenvectors for that eigenvalue; or (ii) fewer than m linearly independent eigenvectors for that eigenvalue. In your case you have a 3x3 matrix with 3 linearly independent eigenvectors, so your matrix is diagonalizable.

An nxn matrix with fewer than n linearly eigenvectors is termed *defective*. Of course, if all n eigenvalues are different the matrix is not defective; defectiveness is possible only for a matrix with repeated eigenvalues, and even then the issue of whether or not it IS defective depends on other details about the matrix.

RGV

Fractal20 said:
However, my understanding was also that it had to have n linear independent eigenvectors which meant no repeated eigenvalues. Which way is it?
You can see this idea is wrong by considering the nxn identity matrix. Every non-zero vector is an eigenvector, so you can obviously find n linearly independent vectors. Yet all the eigenvalues are equal to 1.

Okay, I see my error in that regard. The book I have been studying (Linear Algebra and its app. Strang) repeatedly states that if a matrix has no repeated eigenvalues then its eigenvectors are independent. I was stupidly reading this as iff.

But the real problem was that the eigenvectors weren't orthogonal, (-1,0,1) and (-1, 1, 0) specifically. My understanding here was that any symmetric matrix can be diagonalized using orthogonal matrices. I'm aware that the development in my text assumes unique eigenvalues, but the theorem explicitly states any symmetric matrix...?

If you have two vectors corresponding to the same eigenvalue, any linear combination of them will also be an eigenvector with the same eigenvalue, so you can find linear combinations so that you end up with two orthogonal eigenvectors.

1. What is a symmetric matrix?

A symmetric matrix is a square matrix that is equal to its own transpose. In other words, the elements are mirrored across the main diagonal.

2. What are eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

Eigenvalues are the values that, when multiplied by a vector, result in a scaled version of that vector. Eigenvectors are the corresponding vectors that are scaled by the eigenvalues.

3. How do you know if a matrix has non-distinct eigenvalues?

If a matrix has non-distinct eigenvalues, it means that some of the eigenvalues are repeated. This can be determined by finding the determinant of the matrix, which will be equal to zero if there are repeated eigenvalues.

4. Why is it important to diagonalize a symmetric matrix with non-distinct eigenvalues?

Diagonalizing a symmetric matrix with non-distinct eigenvalues allows us to simplify and understand the matrix better. It also helps us find important information, such as the rank and nullity of the matrix, and can be used to solve systems of linear equations.

5. What is the process for diagonalizing a symmetric matrix with non-distinct eigenvalues?

The process for diagonalizing a symmetric matrix with non-distinct eigenvalues involves finding the eigenvalues and corresponding eigenvectors, constructing a diagonal matrix using the eigenvalues, and finding a similarity transformation matrix using the eigenvectors. The original matrix can then be transformed into a diagonal matrix by multiplying it by the similarity transformation matrix on both sides.