Fundemental lemma of the calculus of variations

In summary, the conversation revolved around revising the calculus of variations using a Wikipedia entry on the Euler-Lagrange equation. The individual was questioning the absence of the first term in the equation and seeking clarification on how it went to zero. After some discussion and experimentation, the individual was able to understand and solve the problem.
TooFastTim

Homework Statement

Hi, I've been revising the calculus of variations and using the wiki entry on the euler lagrange equation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler-Lagrange_equation) as a reference. Scroll down and you'll see: Derivation of one-dimensional Euler–Lagrange equation. Expand this. In it you'll see the statement: "It follows from the total derivative that" and:

dF/dε= dx/dε*∂F/∂x + dgε/dε*∂F/∂gε + dg'ε/dε*∂Fε/∂g'ε

Homework Equations

What happened to the first term (dx/dε*∂F/∂x)?

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that the first term has gone to zero. But how? If π(a) and π(b) both = 0 surely f(x) is a line with f(x) = 0? In which case it is clear that that term will go to zero.

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't ##dx/d\varepsilon =0##?

I think I have it. The description in wiki is a little limited (alternatively my imagination is limited :smile:) so by a little mixing and matching of proofs I think I have found it.

Thanks anyway.

I don't see any obvious problem with the derivation on Wikipedia other than it throws in the unnecessary term that seems to have confused you.

What is the fundamental lemma of the calculus of variations?

The fundamental lemma of the calculus of variations is a mathematical principle that states that if a function has a local minimum or maximum at a point, then the derivative of the function at that point is equal to zero.

Why is the fundamental lemma important?

The fundamental lemma is important because it is a key tool in the study of variational problems and is used to prove many important theorems in this field, such as the Euler-Lagrange equation.

How is the fundamental lemma used in the calculus of variations?

The fundamental lemma is used to determine the critical points of a function, which are the points where the derivative is equal to zero. These points are important in the calculus of variations as they correspond to the solutions of variational problems.

What are the applications of the fundamental lemma?

The fundamental lemma has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used to solve optimization problems, find minimal surfaces, and study the behavior of physical systems.

Are there any limitations to the fundamental lemma?

While the fundamental lemma is a powerful tool in the calculus of variations, it does have limitations. It can only be applied to smooth functions and may not always provide a complete solution to a variational problem. In some cases, additional techniques may be needed to find the optimal solution.