Design a circuit w/1 Ohm impedance

In summary, the conversation is about designing a suitable combination of resistors, capacitors, and/or inductors to achieve an equivalent impedance of 1Ω at a frequency of 100 rad/s, with at least one inductor. The equations used are Zeq=ZR+ZL+ZC, ZR=R, ZL=jωL, and ZC=-j/ωC. The conversation discusses the use of LC or RLC circuits, and the special properties of resonance (ω=1/√(LC)) and underdamping (α=1/2RC). The conversation also explores the equations for impedance at resonance (XL=XC), and the use of a 1 Ohm resistor in
hogrampage

Homework Statement

Design a suitable combination of resistors, capacitors, and/or inductors which has an equivalent impedance at ω=100 rad/s of 1Ω using at least one inductor.

Homework Equations

Zeq=ZR+ZL+ZC
ZR=R
ZL=jωL
ZC=-j/ωC

The Attempt at a Solution

I really am not sure how to start. I can see this being a fairly simple problem, but I just can't seem to wrap my head around it. I have read through the chapter numerous times, and I don't see anything else that could help at all.

Physics news on Phys.org
maybe
1= R + jwL +j/wC

1= R + j(wL+1/wC)

1= R + j(100L+1/100C)

easy one can be R =1, L=.01, C= -0.01
which equals 1 = 1+ j(0)

hogrampage said:

Homework Statement

Design a suitable combination of resistors, capacitors, and/or inductors which has an equivalent impedance at ω=100 rad/s of 1Ω using at least one inductor.

Homework Equations

Zeq=ZR+ZL+ZC
ZR=R
ZL=jωL
ZC=-j/ωC

The Attempt at a Solution

I really am not sure how to start. I can see this being a fairly simple problem, but I just can't seem to wrap my head around it. I have read through the chapter numerous times, and I don't see anything else that could help at all.

What do you know about LC or RLC circuits? Any special properties come to mind?

ω0=[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{LC}}[/itex]

and

[itex]\alpha[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1}{2RC}[/itex]

Underdamped when [itex]\alpha[/itex]<ω0, which has imaginary components.

Last edited:
What conditions exist when a series RLC circuit are at resonance (ω = ωo)?

At resonance, XL=XC, but that would just make them cancel out so I'm not sure what to do.

Last edited:
hogrampage said:
At resonance, XL=XC, but that would just make them cancel out so I'm not sure what to do.

Well, if they cancel out, what remains?...

R, but I'm supposed to use at least one inductor. I must be over-analyzing this (I think about these things too much lol).

hogrampage said:
R, but I'm supposed to use at least one inductor. I must be over-analyzing this (I think about these things too much lol).

Hmm, doesn't the "L" in "LC" count as an inductor?

Yes, but I'm lost as to how to find the value(s). It isn't making sense to me. I don't even know which equation(s) to use. I have looked at the equations in the book and examples, and they aren't helping at all. No matter what, they always know at least one of the impedance values.

EDIT: Am I going anywhere with the below equation?

Zeq=jω[itex]\frac{1}{4\pi^{2}f^{2}C}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{j}{ωC}[/itex]

where Zeq=1.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what's confusing you :confused: Choose any L and a corresponding C that cancels it for the given frequency of operation --- then bang in a 1 Ohm resistor and you're home free.

1. What is the purpose of designing a circuit with 1 Ohm impedance?

The purpose of designing a circuit with 1 Ohm impedance is to ensure that the circuit can handle high current flow without causing excessive heat or damage to the components. This also helps in efficient power transfer and prevents voltage drop.

2. What factors should be considered when designing a circuit with 1 Ohm impedance?

When designing a circuit with 1 Ohm impedance, factors such as the type of components used, wire size, and the length of the circuit should be taken into consideration. These factors can affect the overall impedance and performance of the circuit.

3. How do you calculate the impedance of a circuit with 1 Ohm impedance?

The impedance of a circuit with 1 Ohm impedance can be calculated by adding the resistive impedance of the components and the reactive impedance of the inductors and capacitors in the circuit. It can also be calculated using the formula Z = √(R² + (XL - XC)²) where R is the resistance, XL is the inductive reactance, and XC is the capacitive reactance.

4. What are the benefits of using 1 Ohm impedance in a circuit?

Using 1 Ohm impedance in a circuit can provide stability and reliability to the circuit. It also helps in efficient power transfer and reduces the chances of voltage drop. Additionally, using 1 Ohm impedance can also protect the components from excessive heat and damage.

5. Are there any disadvantages of designing a circuit with 1 Ohm impedance?

One disadvantage of designing a circuit with 1 Ohm impedance is that it may require larger and more expensive components compared to circuits with higher impedance. This can also make the circuit more complex and difficult to design. Additionally, using 1 Ohm impedance may not be suitable for low-power applications as it can result in higher power consumption.