Determine a firing temperature from a pore size?

• Thread starter hermtm2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Temperature
In summary, to determine the firing temperature for a filter, you can use a thermocouple and control the particle and pore size during processing to reproduce a filter with the same microstructure as the sample.
hermtm2
Determine a firing temperature from a pore size?

I did an experiment to find a density of Al2O3 filter (96% pure). By using Pycnometer, hydrostatic weighing method, and SEM images, I was able to find the density. However I have no idea to find the firing temp and reproducing method. When I asked my TA, he told me that Think about think about the particle and pore size. how can you control them during processing?.

Can you help me out?

Homework Statement

Q1) Address how would you determine the temperature used to fire your sample?
Q2) Address how would you reproduce a filter that has the same microstructure as your sample

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
A1) To determine the temperature used to fire your sample, you could use a thermocouple or thermocouple probe to measure the temperature of the sample during firing. Additionally, you could measure the temperatures of the furnace or kiln that is being used to fire the sample. A2) To reproduce a filter with the same microstructure as your sample, you would need to control the size and shape of the particles that make up the filter, as well as the pore size in the filter. This could be done by controlling the particle size distribution of the material that is used to make the filter, as well as controlling the time and temperature of the firing process. For example, if you wanted to increase the pore size, you could increase the firing temperature and/or extend the firing time. Conversely, if you wanted to decrease the pore size, you could decrease the firing temperature and/or reduce the firing time.

1. How do you determine the firing temperature from a pore size?

The firing temperature can be determined by measuring the average pore size of the material and comparing it to known data on the relationship between pore size and firing temperature. This can be done using techniques such as mercury intrusion porosimetry or gas adsorption.

2. What is mercury intrusion porosimetry?

Mercury intrusion porosimetry is a technique used to measure the pore size distribution of a material by forcing mercury into the pores under high pressure. The pressure required to fill the pores is directly related to the pore size, allowing for the determination of pore size distribution.

3. Can gas adsorption be used to determine firing temperature?

Yes, gas adsorption can also be used to determine firing temperature. Gas molecules are adsorbed onto the surface of the material, and the amount of adsorption is related to the pore size. By comparing the amount of adsorption to known data, the firing temperature can be determined.

4. Are there other methods for determining firing temperature?

Yes, there are other methods such as scanning electron microscopy (SEM) and X-ray diffraction (XRD) that can also be used to determine firing temperature. SEM allows for the direct observation of the microstructure of the material, while XRD can be used to analyze the crystal structure and phase changes that occur during firing.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of determining firing temperature from pore size?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of determining firing temperature from pore size, including the type of material being analyzed, the accuracy of the pore size measurement technique, and the presence of impurities or defects in the material. It is important to use multiple techniques and compare results to ensure accuracy.