Am I lacking empathy towards others?

• Thread starter Jamin2112
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker has a lack of empathy towards others and believes in natural selection. They only care about a few people, but still secretly hope for their failure. They also do not care about global events unless it directly affects them. They suggest seeking professional help for anyone bothered by their beliefs.
Jamin2112
I honestly don't feel any empathy towards people who die from obesity or any type of stupid decisions on their part. I see it is as natural selection taking it's course. I do empathize with handicapped people, but it's not like I actually care about them in any sense of the word; it's just that imagine who much I'd hate to be them. There are few people in the world who I actually care about. I like hanging out with my friends and encouraging them, but deep down I'm rooting for their failure that I like being relatively successful to everyone around me. I also don't care what goes on in the world as long as it doesn't effect me. If Iran starts a nuclear war in the Middle East, I would give zero ****s and in fact I'd enjoy following the news from the battlefront.

And no, this isn't a troll thread. I'm 100% serious about everything above.

Physics news on Phys.org
Seek professional help if it concerns you.

1. What is empathy and why is it important?

Empathy is the ability to understand and share the feelings of others. It is important because it allows us to connect with and relate to other people, build strong relationships, and show compassion and understanding towards others.

2. How do I know if I am lacking empathy?

Some signs that you may be lacking empathy include not being able to understand or relate to other people's emotions, not being able to put yourself in someone else's shoes, or being unable to show compassion towards others.

3. Can a lack of empathy be a sign of a mental health issue?

Yes, a lack of empathy can be a symptom of certain mental health issues such as narcissistic personality disorder or autism spectrum disorder. It is important to seek professional help if you feel that your lack of empathy is causing problems in your relationships or daily life.

4. Can empathy be learned or is it something you are born with?

While some people may have a natural inclination towards empathy, it is a skill that can also be learned and improved upon. Practicing active listening, putting yourself in someone else's shoes, and being mindful of others' emotions can help cultivate empathy.

5. What can I do to improve my empathy towards others?

There are several things you can do to improve your empathy towards others, such as actively listening and trying to understand their perspective, practicing kindness and compassion, and educating yourself on different cultures and perspectives. Therapy or counseling can also be beneficial in improving empathy and understanding towards others.