How long would an electron-positron pair exist for?

• Thread starter ZedCar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pair
In summary, the formula for calculating the lifetime of an electron-positron pair in a vacuum, assuming no other factors are present, is Δt ~ (h-bar)/2ΔE. This results in a lifetime of approximately 3.28 x 10^-22 seconds. However, the original formula used by Heisenberg excludes the factor of two, resulting in a slightly longer lifetime of 6.4 x 10^-22 seconds.
ZedCar

Homework Statement

How long would an electron-positron pair exist for in "the vacuum" [of space]?

To create an electron-positron pair requires at least 2mc^2 = 1.6 x 10^-13 J

Homework Equations

ΔEΔt ~ (h-bar)/2

The Attempt at a Solution

Δt ~ (h-bar)/2ΔE
Δt ~ (1.05 x 10^-34) / (2 x 1.6 x10^-13)
Δt ~ 3.28 x 10^-22 s

Physics news on Phys.org
How big is the box you put them in? The more room the particles have to roam the smaller the chance they will "meet".

Spinnor said:
How big is the box you put them in? The more room the particles have to roam the smaller the chance they will "meet".

There is no reference to this in the question.

It just mentions that "the vacuum" is teaming with virtual particles which blink in and out of existence. Then asks How long would an electron-positron pair exist for in "the vacuum" [of space]?

I would suppose more than 14 billion years if they started out on opposite sides of the 14-billion light-year wide universe.

I'm getting 3.22 instead of 3.28. If you're posting because your answer is wrong, that might be why. Try using more digits in your calculations.
I'm also guessing that you aren't supposed to consider that the electron and positron have kinetic energy as well as mass energy, otherwise you would have to take that into account, but no information has been given to you.

frogjg2003 said:
I'm getting 3.22 instead of 3.28. If you're posting because your answer is wrong, that might be why. Try using more digits in your calculations.
I'm also guessing that you aren't supposed to consider that the electron and positron have kinetic energy as well as mass energy, otherwise you would have to take that into account, but no information has been given to you.

Thanks frogjg2003.

Even though we're getting slightly different results which is probably due to using a different number of figures in the calculation, is the formula which I'm using correct?

There is no other info given, so nothing else has to be taken into account.

The reason I ask is because the lecturer provided on the board the following solution:

Electron pair requires at least 2mc^2=1.02MeV of energy
Δt ~ (h-bar)/ΔE
Δt ~ (1.05 x 10^-34) / (1.02 x 1.6 x 10^-13)
Δt ~ 6.4 x 10^-22 s

ZedCar said:

The reason I ask is because the lecturer provided on the board the following solution:

Electron pair requires at least 2mc^2=1.02MeV of energy
Δt ~ (h-bar)/ΔE

Is there a factor of 2 missing above? Δt ~ (h-bar)/ΔE

What is an electron-positron pair?

An electron-positron pair is a subatomic particle created when an electron and a positron (the anti-particle of an electron) collide. This collision results in the creation of two particles with opposite charges and equal mass.

How long can an electron-positron pair exist for?

The lifespan of an electron-positron pair is very short, typically on the order of 10^-22 seconds. This is due to the fact that the two particles are constantly annihilating each other and turning into photons.

What factors affect the longevity of an electron-positron pair?

The main factor that affects the lifespan of an electron-positron pair is the energy of the particles. Higher energy particles can exist for longer periods of time before annihilating. Additionally, the presence of other particles can also affect the pair's lifespan.

Can an electron-positron pair exist indefinitely?

No, an electron-positron pair cannot exist indefinitely. Eventually, the particles will annihilate each other and turn into photons. However, in certain conditions such as in a strong magnetic field, the pair can exist for slightly longer periods of time.

Why is the existence of an electron-positron pair important in particle physics?

The existence of an electron-positron pair is important in particle physics because it helps to explain the conservation of energy and charge in particle interactions. The pair's short lifespan also allows scientists to study high-energy interactions and the behavior of particles at very small scales.