Appropriate Change of Variables for integration

In summary, the conversation is about finding a suitable change of variables for an integral involving a trigonometric function and a hyperbolic trigonometric function. One suggestion is to use a \tan^{-1} substitution and triangles to rewrite the integral. Another suggestion is to use a hyperbolic trigonometric function, such as \sinh x, in the substitution. The conversation also includes a discussion about using a table of integrals and algebra to manipulate the integral.
Flyboy27
Can anyone give me any hints as to find a suitable change of variables for this integral.

infinity
/
|dt/(a^2+t^2)^3/2 =
|
/ -infinity

=2/a^2 * integral below
Pi/2
/
| cos t dt
|
/ 0

Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{dt}{(a^2+t^2)^\frac{3}{2}} = \frac{2}{a^2} *
\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \cos{t}dt [/tex]

Is this correct?

I think you can do a [itex]\tan^{-1}[/itex] substitution and use triangles to rewrite the integral.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shouldn't it be the same change of variable as for

[tex]
\int \frac{dx}{a^2 + x^2}
[/tex]

or

[tex]
\int \sqrt{a^2 + x^2} \, dx
[/tex]

?

I've always supported hyperbolic trig.functions used in substitutions.In your case,it's ~[tex] \sinh x [/tex]...

Daniel.

Alright using a table of integrals and some algebra here is what I have so far:

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{dt}{(a^2+t^2)^\frac{3}{2}} =

\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{a}{t^2(a^2+t^2)^\frac{3}{2}} + \frac{3}{t^2}}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{dt}{(a^2+t^2)^\frac{1}{2}} [/tex]

Am I getting anywhere...I don't think so...

How did u pull that square 't' outta the integral...?:eek:

Daniel.

I used a table of integrals...and some simple algebra, unless I looked at the wrong intergral form, but I don't think I did, so anyway, where do I use the substitution?

What is the purpose of changing variables in integration?

The purpose of changing variables in integration is to simplify the integrand and make it easier to solve. By substituting a new variable, we can often transform a complicated integral into a simpler one that can be easily evaluated. This can also help in finding connections between seemingly unrelated integrals.

What is the appropriate change of variables for a given integral?

The appropriate change of variables for a given integral depends on the form of the integrand. Generally, we want to substitute a variable that will cancel out or simplify parts of the integrand. It is also helpful to choose a variable that will make the limits of integration easier to work with.

How do I determine the limits of integration after changing variables?

The limits of integration after changing variables can be determined by substituting the original limits into the new variable. It is important to also consider how the direction of integration may change after the substitution. In some cases, it may be necessary to split the integral into multiple parts to properly account for the new limits.

What are some common substitutions used in integration?

Some common substitutions used in integration include trigonometric substitutions (such as sine and cosine), exponential and logarithmic substitutions, and polynomial substitutions. The choice of substitution will depend on the form of the integrand and what will result in a simpler integral.

How do I know if my change of variables was successful?

A successful change of variables will result in a simpler integral that can be easily evaluated. The integrand should have cancelled or simplified in some way, and the limits of integration should also be easy to work with. If the new integral is still complicated, it may be necessary to try a different change of variables.